[solved] Linux Mint Manual Partitioning Advice [solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andy321

[solved] Linux Mint Manual Partitioning Advice [solved]

Post by andy321 »

Hi LM community, I need some advice that will help me transistion to linux and help me leave windows.

After installing Linux Mint on my friend's netbook, I have decided that I want to run Linux on my laptop. The trouble is on my laptop, I still need for windows 7 (installed on C: drive) for work purposes, however my laptop is partitioned with a D: DATA drive which is completly unused.

Now I know how to install Linux Mint by using "install side by side" option but I need to partiton manually for it to go on my D: drive and leave C: alone. My D: is 111GB, I have 4GB ram so I know swap space should be 6-8GB but what about the '/' (root) space and other space and any other factors that I need to know about when I am faced with the partition screen.

P.S, I am not conerned with using my D: Data drive for windows, I keep my files, programmes, apps, drivers backed up and off the laptop compleatly.

Thank you very much,

Andy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
andy321

Re: Linux Mint Manual Partitioning Advice

Post by andy321 »

can anybody help me please??
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep I did the "choose something else" below the side by side choice. As allows me to work with customizing my partitions.

And then will allow you to created partitions on D:
For me that was 2 partitions and swap.

A root / partition 20-30gb would be plenty.
And a separate /home partition for security. As if root gets borked or I want to clean install newer versions then still have my stuff on home safe. As to swap I never do the 2x might match ram size as don't see swap being used all that much. For my 4gb machine I think a did like 1gb for swap. Just don't seeing it being used that much.

As to /home size can be the same size as root or larger. But if not needed I like to leave a 20gb unallocated space on drive for possible other types of future uses or even maybe a new bling-bling experimental OS down the road.

Up to you how much for /home and you may need the 60gb-80gb left after root.
Last edited by Orbmiser on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy321

Post by andy321 »

To Orbmiser and usbtux,

Thank you very much for your wisdom.

Return to “Installation & Boot”