Is there anyway to install Cinnamon from the MATE Live DVD?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jerm1027

Is there anyway to install Cinnamon from the MATE Live DVD?

Post by jerm1027 »

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a way to install Cinnamon from a MATE Live boot and vice-versa. I'm currently doing a lot of back and forth and trying to avoid unnecessary writes as all the machines I'm installing to use flash SSD's and I'm also trying to spare my aging USB flash drives. Thanks for any help in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oboedad55

Re: Is there anyway to install Cinnamon from the MATE Live D

Post by oboedad55 »

jerm1027 wrote:As the title suggests, I'm looking for a way to install Cinnamon from a MATE Live boot and vice-versa. I'm currently doing a lot of back and forth and trying to avoid unnecessary writes as all the machines I'm installing to use flash SSD's and I'm also trying to spare my aging USB flash drives. Thanks for any help in advance.

You can just install Cinnamon after the Mate install. Look in Synaptic for "mint-meta-cinnamon-dvd" or in the opposite situation for "mate-desktop-environment".
jerm1027

Post by jerm1027 »

oboedad55 wrote:
jerm1027 wrote:As the title suggests, I'm looking for a way to install Cinnamon from a MATE Live boot and vice-versa. I'm currently doing a lot of back and forth and trying to avoid unnecessary writes as all the machines I'm installing to use flash SSD's and I'm also trying to spare my aging USB flash drives. Thanks for any help in advance.

You can just install Cinnamon after the Mate install. Look in Synaptic for "mint-meta-cinnamon-dvd" or in the opposite situation for "mate-desktop-environment".
I realize that's a post-installation solution, but I'm looking for something more efficient, like configuring the installer to get the cinnamon desktop and install that instead of the MATE from the MATE live boot. Something akin to minimal CD or alternate CD on Ubuntu for Mint would also be an acceptable solution.
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

jerm1027 wrote:
oboedad55 wrote:

I realize that's a post-installation solution, but I'm looking for something more efficient, like configuring the installer to get the cinnamon desktop and install that instead of the MATE from the MATE live boot. Something akin to minimal CD or alternate CD on Ubuntu for Mint would also be an acceptable solution.
I understood what you wanted to do, but I don't believe Mint has a minimal install CD like Ubuntu. A net install would be nice too, but I don't see that anywhere. You could just use the CD instead of the DVD, which would cut down the size, but then you'd be installing codecs and so on that aren't on the CD.
jerm1027

Post by jerm1027 »

oboedad55 wrote:I understood what you wanted to do, but I don't believe Mint has a minimal install CD like Ubuntu. A net install would be nice too, but I don't see that anywhere. You could just use the CD instead of the DVD, which would cut down the size, but then you'd be installing codecs and so on that aren't on the CD.
I figured. I couldn't find anything either. And I take it there is no way to configure the installer prior to running it?

Return to “Installation & Boot”