Do APTonCD & Backup Tool, together, back up everything?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Do APTonCD & Backup Tool, together, back up everything?

Post by jaderiver »

Hello... Very soon my computer will be sent in for repairs, while the warranty is still in effect. How to do a basic backup of MATE system and files before sending in? :?: Since installing Mint 13, I have customized with added applications and installed most updates as they have come in. I can easily drag /home files onto a flashdrive. But what is the best and efficient way to backup system changes? Windows 7 (which I dual boot) has a nice "create disk image" function... and "restore point" options, which do not seem available on MATE.

How do you suggest doing basic backup of Mint MATE OS which preserves updates and newly installed applications? Does creating an APTonCD cover all these bases?

In addition, should I use the Backup Tool to backup the "File System"?

What about "Root" files, which includes Desktop file? (I am still grasping the concept of Root versus non-Root .)

Will there be a step that lets me know how much disc space is required? I do not want to waste a burn on a 5G DVD when a 700MG CD will do.

Thank you so much for any suggestions.
jaderiver
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How to backup computer/MATE before sending in for repair

Post by tdockery97 »

I've always found the best way to be using Clonezilla to make an image of the partition I need to save. The Clonezilla image can be created onto a USB drive/stick.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to backup computer/MATE before sending in for repair

Post by jaderiver »

Thank you, tdockery97. Will look into Clonezilla (I've generally had good luck w/ anything ending in "...zilla" :) )

Still asking to hear from anybody who made use of the two mint tools provided with Mint 13, to back up their system: AptonCD and Backup Tool. In general, what did you backup with these tools and how did they work for you?

Maybe this post should've been part of another forum, such as Mint Tools. Just read how newbie questions are for soliciting quick answers. :oops:

jaderiver
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Do APTonCD & Backup Tool, together, back up everything?

Post by jaderiver »

A quick addendum to report I found comprehensive steps on how to use Backup Tool, and why, provided by Clem in his tutorial, "How to upgrade to a newer release":

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

jaderiver

Return to “Beginner Questions”