Problems with installing/updating software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OscarIB

Problems with installing/updating software

Post by OscarIB »

Hi,

When I try to install programs from the terminal using sudo apt-get install something I get the message "sudo: apt-get: command not found".

When I use update manager it says "The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/http could not be found"

Neither the synaptic package manager or the software manager are working, and I'm guessing for the same reason.

Synaptic is giving me another interesting error: "W: Unable to read /etc/apt/preferences.d/ - DirectoryExists (2: No such file or directory)".

I'm guessing that all these errors have a single, fixable problem at the root, but I can't really figure it out by myself. Any help would be very welcome.

I just started using Linux Mint and I gotta say that I love how it's working except for this problem now which is not allowing me install any new software.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
N2PY.net

Re: Problems with installing/updating software

Post by N2PY.net »

I have the same issue, and so far have been unable to find the root either. Anyone have any poiners to a resoruce that could help? Thanks in advance. -Brent
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

looks like the installer is corrupt . Check ISO MD5 sum if is correct or not. If it's correct, try to reinstall
Jim1938

Post by Jim1938 »

I also had similar issue this morning.
I cold booted.
So far all is good.
I've been able to install Skype since. :)
Good luck.

Return to “Software & Applications”