>Solved< How do I display version of Mate currently running?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TCDNV
Level 1
Level 1

>Solved< How do I display version of Mate currently running?

Post by TCDNV »

Howdy,

I am running Mint 13/Mate on several PCs; installed from the standard installation package downloaded several months ago. I have followed the instructions to implement the improved MDM, 1.0.7 Cinnamon 1.6.7 (with Nemo 1.1.2 and Muffin 1.1.2) MATE 1.4.

One PC updated completely and it seems to be running very well (old PC and it seems to be running much faster!).

One PC does not have things like the additional "patterns" and other configuration options.

How can I confirm that I have successfully upgraded each of the MDM 1.0.7, Cinnamon 1.6.7 (with Nemo 1.1.2 and Muffin 1.1.2) MATE 1.4 services?

I assume that there is a terminal command that will list the running services and versions. System Information does not list the Mate version running.

All info Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dabj01

Re: How do I display version of Mate currently running?

Post by dabj01 »

To find a package name and see wether it's installed or not you can use aptitude search. For example aptitude search mate will show all packages with mate in the name with an I or a P to the left indicating if it's Installed or in the Pool. Then you can use dpkg -s <packagename> to see the installed version of it. You can also finally use sudo apt-get check <packagename> to ensure that all dependencies are met.

Not sure what the packages you need to check are called so you may have to search for them. Also not sure if this is the easiest way to do it but it should work.

try dpkg -s mate-window-manager
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

TCDNV wrote:I assume that there is a terminal command that will list the running services and versions. System Information does not list the Mate version running.
Try these terminal commands:

Code: Select all

cinnamon --version
mdm --version
nemo --version
Not sure about muffin -

muffin --version
didn't work for me

For mate: try

mate-about
This will open a window with the information - I don't know how to get it to display in the terminal like the others :?

Hoping someone else knows ....

caribriz
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

you could use the following $ cat /etc/lsb-release

or inxi -S
TCDNV
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TCDNV »

Thanks VERY much to All!

I'll give these a try later this morning.

>>>>> It actually was very easy to verify Mate! Just right click on the panel and select "About"! ;-0

Thanks Again,
Tom

Return to “Beginner Questions”