Desktop turned white at boot!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
big_dog1968

Desktop turned white at boot!

Post by big_dog1968 »

I have a big problem.
I was trying to fix a problem that I posted in the newbie section http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=10716 and thought maybe disabling Compiz would help. It didn't, so I tried to enable compiz (there are two different buttons on the menu for this). when I clicked to re-enable compiz the screen went white and now when I boot, everything goes normal, and then turns all white!

I am running the new KDE mini-cd and have done all updates and installed my ATI card with envy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Re: Desktop turned white at boot!

Post by McLovin »

login to a safe mode at the login screen, and disable compiz start at system start. Have you recently updated the kernel? I have that issue with the 2.6.22.14 kernel,(i think that's the one, the older Hardy kernel, but a new main kernel) also on an ATI card.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

I have not, unless that is something mint update would do.

how do I do disable it? Are you talking at the login screen?
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

at the login screen, select "Safe (gnome/KDE) whatever DM you are are using, that load into safe made and not start Compiz. then you select to use standard desktop from appearances menu, and try to log in normally again.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

McLovin wrote:at the login screen, select "Safe (gnome/KDE) whatever DM you are are using, that load into safe made and not start Compiz. then you select to use standard desktop from appearances menu, and try to log in normally again.
Thanks.It was the new KDE minicd version, but I wound up formatting and re-installing the gnome version of Mint. Less problems I think. the new KDE Mint had done this a couple time on fresh re-installs, and I wasn't doing anything that should have been a problem, so I couldn't figure why this was happening. Maybe there are still a few kinks with it.

This is off topic but:
I would like to run KDE as an alternate desktop. Is this hard to accomplish starting from Mint Gnome Version? Any idea if it is possible to have different customized Gnome desktops. As an example Ubuntu Studio Desktop (Gnome), Standard Mint (Gnome) and then maybe a KDE desktop?
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

it is possible, but if you install the ubuntustudio, DO NOT INSTALL THE RT KERNEL it creates havoc. As for KDE, you can install that as well, but it will not be the Mint version, it will be the Kubuntu version.
You can customise Gnome to just about anything you want, I have customized mine to no end
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Could I have different configurations of Gnome, that I can choose from at the login, or from within Gnome?

For example, I might want to log into a desktop with menus configured for video/graphics/audio, with less eye candy, and less of anything else that slows performance, and then maybe the standard Mint desktop for every day usage. Do you know where I could learn about doing this sort of thing? Thanks.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Well, you could use Sessions for that, to deactivate certain things to start at boot. Easiest would be to create different users for different needs. Man, I really need to stop reading here while in XP...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Installation & Boot”