Death of LMDE Xfce

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Death of LMDE Xfce

Post by dritzominous »

If you haven't heard about this, go and read the blog post:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2237

It's just too bad...

Well, now I get to have fun turning my old desktop into pure Debian, and my laptop's DE to Cinnamon.

Comments? Anyone?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneC

Re: Death of LMDE Xfce

Post by GeneC »

All is not lost.
We may have an 'unofficial LMDE/XFCE" before too long.
look here.... :arrow: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 95#p655811

Mint has done a better job at marketing MATE over XFCE....

From blog post
GeneC Says:
December 5th, 2012 at 8:43 am
Dropping LMDE/XFCE is a mistake. XFCE is easily the most stable DE for Linux, and one of the lightest. Linux has more than enough desktop environments now, without the need for developing even more. Since the discontinuation of an old favorite Gnome 2.3, there are several attempts to replace that experience with new ones, namely Cinnamon and Mate in Mint. I find them redundant. XFCE does most anything either of them can do and its stable as can be, and lighter. If you don’t need ‘lightness’, then adding Compiz adds all the ‘flash’ anyone could want.
Its understandable that you would be inclined to using DE’s that are developed here at Mint, but I feel your resources would be best used in making existing DE more efficient.
Best Wishes.

Edit by Clem: Hi GeneC. The resources need to go where people need them. The demand is clearly on MATE and Cinnamon. Back in the days GNOME 2 was, by far, the most popular DE. Nothing is changed. MATE and Cinnamon today each represent 33% of our audience, Xfce 9%. Within LMDE which totals roughly 13% it’s hard to justify the maintenance of all these separate desktops. I can appreciate how great Xfce is, I maintain the Xfce edition myself which RC will be out very shortly, but with only 4% I have to be pragmatic and wonder who exactly is all this work done for when other areas of Linux Mint are lacking attention. Another issue we have with Xfce on top of LMDE is that Debian isn’t committed to it. Xfce 4.10, released in April 2012, isn’t even in Sid yet. As you may know its configuration isn’t compatible with Xfce 4.8. For us to maintain two separate editions of Xfce with different versions and deviations from one base to another is feasible, but it’s a challenge that is hard to justify considering the adoption stats. You have a point about Xfce itself, it truly is a great environment, and maybe you can convince some MATE and Cinnamon users that Xfce is better for them, but on our side this decision makes sense, simply because there’s very little demand in this particular edition.
Understandable, but dissapointing.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

An unofficial LMDE Xfce? I'm probably in.

After all, I might be able to help a bit more than I could a few years ago when I started using Mint.

I've been in school for programming and software development, so if time permits, I might start diving into some *nix development.

I'll have to flush that VB.NET crap out of my head though. The syntax is so similar to Python.

(The damages...)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Perhaps you could give Schoelje some help with the code? I am sure he would be grateful for any help. This, I am sure, is a future project, we still have the old LMDE/XFCE (201204), that is viable, in the mean time.
Also anyone could just load the new (when they come out) Cin. or Mate LMDE/UP5/6?, and install XFCE over them. The Mate version would be the best choice, (Mint Menu, xfapplet).
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

I'll probably try doing a rough respin of LMDE Xfce(old) and slap in some updated packages, and hopefully remove a lot of gnome dependencies by default. (As others have pointed out, those can get on one's nerves.)

I might even try using pure Debian Xfce with some mint packages...

Heck, that's what I have on my old computer downstairs with * XFCE 4.10 *. It's worth a shot I think!

Sometime around December 24th (the beginning of my winter break) will most likely be the bulk of my work I i decide to do this.

I'm starting my C# class tomorrow, so I might have some extra time on my hands since my chapter completion deadlines were somewhat underestimated since the first 3 chapters just cover the basics.

(My classes are in a self-paced structure)

Anywho, I'll be happy to help out this "Schoelje" if time permits.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

Thank you.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Might be a blessing in disguise.

I tried a few times, LMDE-xfce,,, quite bloated, after some d-u, usually ended up with gnome-shell entering and slow down..

Have been using all kinds of xfce .. like their very fast response and good on a few of my computers (9-10 year old, XP even crawled but xfce runs, no chance to use gnome shell and some heavy DE)
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

@geneC
thanx man that you confirm my opinion. mate and cinnamon are quite useless projects due to the fact that xfce already exists.
so if you want a light DE, you use xfce and if you want a modern DE you have gnome-shell. THAT IS IT!

instead on focusing on new apps, better tools, better video drivers, better testing the updates, etc, etc, they are beating a dead horse of gnome 2.xxxx.

i am sick and tired about the "users want this and that"...as a fact of life: people dont know what they want. the fact that they are get used to use gnome 2.xx does not mean that they WANT gnome 2.xxx.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

richardsdma wrote:@geneC
thanx man that you confirm my opinion. mate and cinnamon are quite useless projects due to the fact that xfce already exists.
so if you want a light DE, you use xfce and if you want a modern DE you have gnome-shell. THAT IS IT!

instead on focusing on new apps, better tools, better video drivers, better testing the updates, etc, etc, they are beating a dead horse of gnome 2.xxxx.

i am sick and tired about the "users want this and that"...as a fact of life: people dont know what they want. the fact that they are get used to use gnome 2.xx does not mean that they WANT gnome 2.xxx.
:( :( :( Why Do you Keep Rehashing The Same Old Thing :?: I think We Get IT :!: :idea: Why Don't you Make your Own Distro :?: From your Posts you seem to think that Mint Should be made for You Only...I for one Like the old dead horse as much as you Hate it :D
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

wayne128 wrote:Might be a blessing in disguise.

I tried a few times, LMDE-xfce,,, quite bloated, after some d-u, usually ended up with gnome-shell entering and slow down..

Have been using all kinds of xfce .. like their very fast response and good on a few of my computers (9-10 year old, XP even crawled but xfce runs, no chance to use gnome shell and some heavy DE)
Hi Wayne.... :)

Agreed. I think both the "UN-official KDE, and proposed XFCE" will have more freedom to be developed with more user feedback, than is the case with the main Mint versions.
Interesting times ahead.. We are fortunate to have someone such as our friend Schoelje to want to tackle such large projects.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”