[SOLVED] Folders open in Nautilus instead of Nemo

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rprego

[SOLVED] Folders open in Nautilus instead of Nemo

Post by rprego »

Hi everyone, I'm running Mint 13, and I recently installed Cinnamon 1.6.7 and Nemo 1.2.2 via the backports repo. I'm having a weird issue on one of my machines: when I double-click folders or links, they open in Nautilus rather than in Nemo. When I double-click Computer or Home on the desktop, for example, they open in Nautilus, and I would like them to open in Nemo instead. I tried changing /usr/share/applications/defaults.list to say inode/directory=nemo.desktop, but it changes back to inode/directory=nautilus.desktop after every reboot. The strange this is that I installed Cinnamon & Nemo on another machine running LM 13 exactly the same way - and I'm not having this problem on my other machine (Computer, Home, etc. all open in Nemo as expected). Anyone have any insight into what could be causing this, or what I should try to fix it? Thanks for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Folders open in Nautilus instead of Nemo

Post by nomko »

Is it possible to remove Nautilus? I think this might solve your problem:

In terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove --purge nautilus
rprego

Post by rprego »

Thanks for the reply; I'm sure that would probably do it, but I'm not comfortable removing Nautilus yet. And like I mentioned, I'm not having the same problem on my other machine, which still has Nautilus installed. So while that would be a solution, I'm hoping to get to the root of the problem.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

Remove nautilus. Nemo rocks, doesn't crash and is better! Next.
rprego

Post by rprego »

nomko wrote:Is it possible to remove Nautilus? I think this might solve your problem:

In terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove --purge nautilus
Only reservation I had about removing Nautilus was losing Dropbox integration, but then I remembered that Nemo has Dropbox integration as well. Installed nemo-dropbox package and removed Nautilus, everything's good. Marked as solved, thanks.
bjd-pfq

Post by bjd-pfq »

twodogs wrote:Remove nautilus. Nemo rocks, doesn't crash and is better! Next.
Please direct me to Nemo's equivalent of Nautilus' scripts facility.
There is none.
Until there is, Nemo cannot stand in Nautilus' shadow.

--
DavePlummer

Re: [SOLVED] Folders open in Nautilus instead of Nemo

Post by DavePlummer »

Place executable scripts in ~/gnome2/nemo-scripts. They will then show up in Nemo's right-click menu and under Nemo's file menu. There are special Nemo script environment variables for use in scripts.

Return to “Cinnamon”