how to install cheese 3.6.2 on linux mint 13 mate ed ??????

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abualderda

how to install cheese 3.6.2 on linux mint 13 mate ed ??????

Post by abualderda »

i would like for somebody to walk me thru an easy step by step on installing the webcam program called cheese version 3.6.2 ( latest version)
every time i install it.....it installs the 3.4.1 version (old version)

please make it as simple as possible ( talk to me like a five year old)

PS. i'm running Linux mint 13 mate

I appreciated ..... thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dabj01

Re: how to install cheese 3.6.2 on linux mint 13 mate ed ??

Post by dabj01 »

First you need to be able to compile (build) and application from source. You need the compiler and tools to do that. Open up a terminal window and type in:

sudo apt-get install build-essential gdk-pixbuf2.0-dev libghc-gstreamer-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev libcairo-dev libghc-pango-dev libclutter-1.0-dev libclutter-gst-dev libclutter-gst-2.0-dev libclutter-gtk-1.0-dev libcheese-dev libcheese-gtk-dev libgnome-desktop-3-dev libgee-devlibrsvg2-dev gnome-video-effects-dev itstool

The first package listed there, build-essential, is your compiler and tools. All the bull listed after it is libraries needed to by cheese specifically to compile.

Now you need the cheese source files for version 3.6.2. Download http://download.gnome.org/sources/chees ... 6.2.tar.xz or go to http://projects.gnome.org/cheese/download to get whatever version you want.

Open the file you download in archive manager and extract it. You can plop it right there in the Downloads folder if you want, that's what I did. It will extract a folder named cheese-3.6.2. We'll need to move to that folder in our terminal window. Since terminal open up to your home folder we can do the command cd Downloads/cheese-3.6.2 to get to it.

Lets see if we will be able to compile it. Do the command sudo ./configure, if the last thing it outputs is about it creating a bunch of file then we're good to go. Now compile cheese by doing sudo make, when that's finished to sudo make install. It should now be installed and available from your applications menu. If it runs then you're one lucky guy/gal. If not then go break some dishes.

In the future if you want to compile a newer version of cheese you probably only will need to download the archive, extract it, then run the sudo ./configure, sudo make, and sudo make install commands as you already have you build tools and libraries. Though they may decide to include a new library and you'll have to sudo apt-get install the dev package for it.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Just a thought. I don't know what you want to do with your webcam. I installed a Logitech a couple months ago. I installed guvcview. It worked first try.

I did install cheese. It must be command line because there are no icons for the program. I looked no further and moved on to guvcview.
august

Post by august »

hi there, I'm a newbie silversurfer. With Linuxmint 14.1 installed. On following your instructions I got as far as the sudo ./configure without any probs, but when entering sudo make in the downloads/cheese-3,6.2 directory I get the the message ( No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop .) What am I not doing that I should be doing? Your help will be very much appreciated to enable me to download,compile,install, and run source files as I hope to start learning c++ to keep the old brain cell active...

Regards.

Return to “Beginner Questions”