Automatically Unlock Keyring in Mint 14 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sesetamhet

Automatically Unlock Keyring in Mint 14 Cinnamon

Post by Sesetamhet »

Hello!
So, my laptop has a pre-boot fingerprint scan, which I have successfully set up(I'm the only user), so I want a complete automatic login.

The problem is that once I set my user to automatic login in the mdm(it should be mdm right?) menu, I am now prompted for my password to unlock the keyring AFTER login, defeating the purpose completely.
I don't want to remove my account's password completely, as I want to be able to password-lock my screen, and prevent people from walking all over the place if a start an ssh daemon or something.
I've looked around a bit, but I'm not sure what the keyring manager is, and I couldn't find an option to erase the login keyring password in the passwords and keys manager in the cinnamon menu.

I think this should probably be a pretty easy fix, but I haven't been able to find it.
Thanks!
Piilen

Re: Automatically Unlock Keyring in Mint 14 Cinnamon

Post by Piilen »

Hi Sesetamhet,

I just solved this - in the Passwords and Keys program select the View menu and check "By keyring".
Now you will see a new column on the left - right click the "Login" and select change password.
Give your password and then leave the new passwords blank - after checking that you really want no passwords you're done. :D
br Morten
tiagolsan

Post by tiagolsan »

Hi! I just happen to have the exact same issue, but when I click "Change password" - I do this through the "seahorse" command - I get the following error message:

Couldn't change keyring password
Method "ChangeWithPrompt" with signature "o" on interface "org.gnome.keyring.InternalUnsupportedGuiltRiddenInterface" doesn't exist

Any ideias?? Thanks in advance!
Redondo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Redondo »

Piilen wrote:Hi Sesetamhet,

I just solved this - in the Passwords and Keys program select the View menu and check "By keyring".
Now you will see a new column on the left - right click the "Login" and select change password.
Give your password and then leave the new passwords blank - after checking that you really want no passwords you're done. :D
br Morten
Thanks. Your explanation fixed it. Of all the links I've encountered, nothing referred to the "View" menu.
erikdubois

Post by erikdubois »

Thank you that did it for me too.
newhoperobertn

Post by newhoperobertn »

Great answer, and it worked for Mint 16, Cinnamon. I had forgotten my keyring password and was able to reset it. Thank you.
twin798
Level 1
Level 1

Post by twin798 »

In my installation I must right click on Defaults under the word Passwords to get the menu. Then select Change Password. Of course, this is in the Passwords and Keys software which can be found by going to the Menu and typing Passwords in the search window.
warriorofthelight
Level 3
Level 3

Post by warriorofthelight »

That keyring password annoyance is still an issue in 2019... but thankfully, this seems to have worked.

Return to “Beginner Questions”