new install wireless network does not work

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

new install wireless network does not work

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

After pulling teeth I finally got linux mint 14 installed on the other computer i"m using mint 13 on this one .

That computer is a Dell dimension 3000, one gig memory and 300 gig hd and a linksys network adapter compact wireless G network adapter.

My problem is that the network automatically installed and ran long enough to install the the system linux mint 14 cinnamon and the updates too.

I guess what happened must have happened on the update but I cannot fix it.

What it's doing is cycling on and off wanting me to enter my pass code for the network. I enter the code then it still does not stay connected long enough to use at all.

When go to the network setup to fix it it actually seems that it may be cycling between the wireless and the wired network though the wired network is unplugged I cannot find where to disable it. Also the wireless network pass code is sometimes and sometimes not entered but mostly is. Still the network does not work.

Another piece of info relevant or not relevant I do not know . ..... On this , the computer that is working , I downoaded and still use WICD for my network manager Because of a similar though not the same problem. I hesitate to do that for this computer for reason's i'm not sure of .... I really want to get network manager to work (stubborn i guess).

Thanks very much,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gord

Re: new install wireless network does not work

Post by Gord »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:When go to the network setup to fix it it actually seems that it may be cycling between the wireless and the wired network though the wired network is unplugged I cannot find where to disable it.
Try this: In

Preferences > Network Connections

select your Wired adapter and then click the "Edit..." button. Near the top of the dialog just under the Connection name, clear the checkbox for "Connect automatically". Save your changes, restart your machine, and see if the problem persists.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Try this: In

Preferences > Network Connections

select your Wired adapter and then click the "Edit..." button. Near the top of the dialog just under the Connection name, clear the checkbox for "Connect automatically". Save your changes, restart your machine, and see if the problem persists.

Ok I got this working sort of. THANKS very much

I wonder why my computer is so slow? Possibly not network related since it's still delaying all keypunches and clicks. There is an indication that something is using ther resources other than what I am doing ....

Thanks,
Nate
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Some browsers sometimes do that, another instance is running, even when you know you have shut it down on a previous session (login..)

You can always run top or htop if you have that installed and see what processes are active..
--and you could check the start-up services to see all that you have running
--for example avahi, unless you always want to be scanning for any new local devices (network cards, printers etc..) isn't really needed: once you have a system running the way you want
  • And some other services may also be excluded, such as automatic updates
    --you can always check manually for updates
http://nixcraft.com/getting-started-tut ... nning.html
--there is a GUI selection via the vendor desktop for that, but the link is for another method
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I went to system moniter and discovered under ursources that the CPU is running @ 100% almost continuously. I have no idea why . I would like to post that display here but I have either forgotten how or never knew ....

Thanks,

Nate
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

You can always run top or htop if you have that installed and see what processes are active..
--and you could check the start-up services to see all that you have running
I ran top and i'm gonna have to be more familiar with linux for that to help me .... I don't recognize any of the file names...... but it is quite active
thanks,
Nate

Return to “Networking”