Pacific Northwest Representing!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Pacific Northwest Representing!

Postby PsiJet on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Not going to say much here except that I've converted from Ubuntu (12.04) to Linux Mint Cinnamon 14.

I was going to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10, but decided I didn't like the changes they were making, plus it was a bit laggier than I ultimately liked.
The HUD display there wasn't what I liked ultimately either and was just an overall bother. Even though I am NOT fond of the "Windows" replication, I think it's more tollerable than dealing with Ubuntu's. :roll:

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what Mint has in store! :)
PsiJet
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Pacific Northwest Representing!

Postby Orbmiser on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 am

Sorry I'm Representing the Pacific Northwest from Portland,Or.
As I converted a month ago Sorry! :shock:

Tho "Welcome aboard The Black Pearl Miss Turner!" :?
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby PsiJet on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:29 am

I'm a state above you. Actually about 90 miles give/take from you. LOL

So can I at least claim Washington state? :lol:
PsiJet
Level 1
Level 1

Postby The-Wizard on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:42 am

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -mint 17 Xfce dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 9
Level 9

Postby PsiJet on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:31 am

Glad to be here. Right now I'm messing around with the cinnamon theme and css. It's a bit annoying, but meh, nothing compared to Ubuntu's. :?

Hopefully I'll learn more here! :D
PsiJet
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Orbmiser on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:47 am

Yep cut the Ubuntu cord back in 2008 as needed more powerful Image Editing for my photography.
And none was available then except Gimp which I hated.

Then last month being the winter months and more inside and less outside Photo Shoots. Decided to give Ubuntu another whirl as been supplying some of Images for some of the ubuntu distro's default wallpapers includes. And was honored to have my images chosen for the project as a part of giving to the community.

So downed the 12.10 and gave it a whirl and was flabbergasted by the whole Unity & Splattering and mucking up my searches with amazon. Tried to like it but this ole' fart just to set in his ways. I have an android tablet and Ubuntu Unity reminded me of it.

So began too search and it wasn't hard to stumble into the Mint site and didn't want to be to reminiscent of 2007 and do Mate. So gave Cinnamon a whirl. Everything worked out of the box! Couple of non-critical annoyances and couple of buggy apps. But seems Great and Love it!. Only issue is my Wifi signal quality is in the 20%-30% less range. Windows side runs great same setup,web sites,etc.. But on Cinnamon I get 1 or 2 disconnects in an 8-12 hrs period. And struggle with getting pages to load off and on during 20-30 min windows of just won't load page tho signal strength hasn't change. Sometimes requiring me to disconnect then reconnect to clear it up. Have to look into that.

So Welcome again and Stay Dry We are Really Getting Wet & Soggy down here in Portland.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby PsiJet on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:10 am

Agreed. If I wanted to search for Amazon things (shopping junk), I would, you know, do an actual SEARCH for it. Who says I would even use them?
Love also how they just brush it off as "everyone is doing it" ... yeah, those that do it are websites, not my operating system.

And yes, we're getting wet here too. No fun. Don't want any snow/ice here though. Could do without it, much like Ubuntu's search. LOL
PsiJet
Level 1
Level 1

Postby overthetop on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Welcome aboard! :P
PsiJet wrote:If I wanted to search for Amazon things (shopping junk), I would, you know, do an actual SEARCH for it. Who says I would even use them?
Love also how they just brush it off as "everyone is doing it" ... yeah, those that do it are websites, not my operating system.

This is the main reason I can't bring myself to like Ubuntu. Sure you can remove/disable it; its just the thought that they would actually stoop to built in advertisements.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -- Bruce Lee
overthetop
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Orbmiser on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Well the true reason for no longer doing the Ubuntu is Direction!

Ubuntu 13.04 is mostly aimed at mobile devices such as laptops, netbooks, phones and tablets. And shuttleworth wanting Smart TV and cloud also. Tells me he is no longer into the Linux crowd but wants to start capitalizing on making money the good ole fashion way like all the other Main stream OS'es. With Mass Market Selling.

Not saying in itself that is evil to make money. But ignoring your hardcore linux users that made linux and Ubuntu forums work successfully. And then removing transparency from future developments and ignoring feedback from long time users does not bode well for my idea of what Linux is about and not my type of a Work system.

If I wanted a Home consumption Media server streaming clouding all my purchases and consuming my media. I wouldn't be on my Work Computer. I would be in front of my Media center or tablet,etc.

Just seems each release is becoming less distinctive and more blending and merging into the realm of Mass Media Consumption Devices. Which is flooded with devices. Making Ubuntu in just another small tadpole in a Large Pond!
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby overthetop on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Orbmiser wrote:Well the true reason for no longer doing the Ubuntu is Direction!

Ubuntu 13.04 is mostly aimed at mobile devices such as laptops, netbooks, phones and tablets. And shuttleworth wanting Smart TV and cloud also. Tells me he is no longer into the Linux crowd but wants to start capitalizing on making money the good ole fashion way like all the other Main stream OS'es. With Mass Market Selling.

Not saying in itself that is evil to make money. But ignoring your hardcore linux users that made linux and Ubuntu forums work successfully. And then removing transparency from future developments and ignoring feedback from long time users does not bode well for my idea of what Linux is about and not my type of a Work system.

If I wanted a Home consumption Media server streaming clouding all my purchases and consuming my media. I wouldn't be on my Work Computer. I would be in front of my Media center or tablet,etc.

Just seems each release is becoming less distinctive and more blending and merging into the realm of Mass Media Consumption Devices. Which is flooded with devices. Making Ubuntu in just another small tadpole in a Large Pond!

All so sadly true!
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -- Bruce Lee
overthetop
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jesica on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:50 am

Welcome to the forum

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby PsiJet on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Orbmiser wrote:Well the true reason for no longer doing the Ubuntu is Direction!

If there was a like button for that, I would hit it a million times!

While I do use a laptop, it was okay under 12.04 (I much prefered 11.10, so partly my fault for upgrading), but I could not, and would not, use 12.10 just for that one simple reason. I do hope that Mint doesn't head that direction (I don't think they will, but I don't think anyone ultimately expected Ubuntu to go that route either!)

I am going to have to go into the tech area and ask a couple of questions instead of hijacking my own "Welcome to the forum" thread! LoL

Either way, thank you again for that post! I thought I was the only one feeling that way. I just have a hard time putting it into words! :)
PsiJet
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Introduce yourself