Nadia & NVIDIA GT650M

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Nadia & NVIDIA GT650M

Postby Guilden_NL on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:59 pm

It's been a while since I ran Mint (11) and now that I have a new Asus ZenBook, I thought that I would give it another shot.
Installed 64 bit Nadia with Cinnamon, but am sad to find no multiple desktop support, nor much of the functionality available from NVIDIA drivers.

I've searched these forums and the Net, and pretty much everything focuses on 13 or before. Those posts about 14 haven't really provided a solution, most are not complete to a solution.

I've tried to install the NVIDIA driver but get the problems of having to shut down X, then I don't get the driver loaded (as best as I can tell) because a graphical interface isn't presented.

Does anyone know of a step by step to install NVidia drivers for Mint 14 Nadia?

Also am curious about the lack of ease in loading proprietary drivers, is it due to a change in Ubuntu that I haven't detected due to upgrades to 12.10 that went well for me on my 10+ other systems? I saw one post that seemed to indicate this, but didn't have time to go search for just that point.

Thanks in advance for any pointers regarding this. I like Mint's approach, but need to get around this point before I can move forward.
Asus UX51vz Zenbook
Guilden_NL
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nadia & NVIDIA GT650M

Postby Guilden_NL on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:58 am

Sadly, it looks like I will have to move back to Ubuntu and leave Mint for some time in the future.
Asus UX51vz Zenbook
Guilden_NL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby caribriz on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:04 am

Maybe this tutorial from this thread?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&p=595178#p618186
http://eternalvoid.net/tutorials/linux-optimus-gt650m/

Edit: just realised this was for LM13 - but worth a try? (if you haven't already :wink: )

caribriz
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 17 Cinnamon)
caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Guilden_NL on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks, I should have posted that I used the old TTY changing keystroke. It doesn't affect this problem with Nadia.
Asus UX51vz Zenbook
Guilden_NL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zerozero on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Guilden_NL,
the GT650M is an hybrid card with optimus technology http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/deskt ... ce-gt-650m
the conventional nvidia driver installation won't work with that card; remove all the drivers you have tried to install (if any) and try bumblebee https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee (it's the only option)

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Guilden_NL on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:20 pm

zerozero,
Thanks for that information! I missed that in eyeballing the specs vs Mint 14 and Ubuntu 14.10. I should have been more careful as I got nailed by an ATI problem when X Server changed back in 2008? I gave up all things ATI then and stuck with Nvidia, so perhaps I wasn't careful enough given that I haven't had any Nvidia issues over the years other than a bad beta driver when I was still trying them out (I don't have time for beta anything these days.)

I was just going to wipe and replace Mint, I'll give this a shot instead under Nadia.

Will let you know how it goes.
Asus UX51vz Zenbook
Guilden_NL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zerozero on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:30 pm

bare in mind that bumblebee is an open-source project to overcome the lack of support for the this Optimus technology in linux that Nvidia is not willing (yet) to support.

this basically means that it (bumblebee) works well but it's not perfect (unfortunately for those cards it's the only option; either that or use the intel chipset)

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Guilden_NL on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Everything appeared to load properly until the very end when it informed me that US-Eng-UTF8 isn't supported (wow...) Upon reboot, the same problem of the having most basic driver loading leaves me with 640x480 resolution.

So it seems that Mint and Bumblebee don't play together nicely.

Again, thanks. I am going to drop back to Ubuntu where I am familiar with much more. I can't even find where the software sources are listed in the Mint GUI. Some of the things in Mint seem to be very "dumbed down" for simple users and I just can't live with that. This clearly seems to be an issue outside the distro, but having to learn a completely new UI on top of it means that I just don't have time to mess with it any longer.
Asus UX51vz Zenbook
Guilden_NL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Guilden_NL on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:39 pm

OK, going to try this first. Too many people saying that it is the only "HowTo" that works not to give it a try: http://eternalvoid.net/tutorials/linux-optimus-gt650m/
Asus UX51vz Zenbook
Guilden_NL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Guilden_NL on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:56 am

Guilden_NL wrote:OK, going to try this first. Too many people saying that it is the only "HowTo" that works not to give it a try: http://eternalvoid.net/tutorials/linux-optimus-gt650m/

I ran through it all with no apparent errors, but no luck.

I ended up reinstalling Nadia and will fiddle around with Bumblebee at some point when I have more time.

Again, thanks for your help with the information about my Nvidia card.
Asus UX51vz Zenbook
Guilden_NL
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors