Desktop gone after installing several packages

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Desktop gone after installing several packages

Postby andformore on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 am

Hey guys, I would be incredibly appreciative of some help. I was trying to build ffmpeg in order to convert videos to H.264 format by following this tutorial for ubuntu:

http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/Ubun ... ationGuide

The first step involves installing a bunch of packages, one of which seems to have broken my desktop. I was running Cinnamon, and now I have no start bar and windows do not have frames. I can still launch this browser with the desktop icon which is still appearing. I tried running `cinnamon --replace` and it said segmentation fault. The command `ps -A | egrep '(cinnamon|gnome-shell|gnome-panel)'` shows nothing. I would be totally stoked with help in this order:

1. I need any desktop running so I can work/use my computer.
2. I would like cinnamon back to how it was.
3. I would like to understand why this happened and how I can know which packages to avoid installing in the future.

Many thanks!
andformore
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Desktop gone after installing several packages

Postby andformore on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:57 am

Well, I seem to have been able to fix the problem. I basically uninstalled and reinstalled my video driver like this:

Code: Select all
sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh --force
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx

cd /tmp && wget -O amd-driver-12-6-x86_64.run http://goo.gl/XBFyI
chmod +x amd-driver-12-6-x86_64.run
sudo sh amd-driver-12-6-x86_64.run

sudo aticonfig --initial -f

That worked and I'm very happy, but if I could figure out which package screwed up my video driver and alert myself about it in the future that would be very cool. Thanks!
andformore
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications