Cinnamon!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
abnvolk

Re: Cinnamon!

Post by abnvolk »

Yes, I also like a stable, rock solid DE... But Linux is all about choices, we can't prevent someone from making a new DE. And remember that Linux is not a product, it's a project which never stops developing. 1% of market share is not too important :)
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

dont tell me that a company like cannonical would not like to have at least 10% of the market.
do you realize what that the 10% means? means that nVidia, AMD, Broadcom and many other hardware manufacturers would make proprietary drivers with the same quality as they make for windows. it would be very good to have a real alternative to windows.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

richardsdma wrote:come on...all those options that you mentioned are pretty useless for the bulk of the users.
Obviously not. Otherwise Cinnamon wouldn't have happened, and Gnome Shell and Unity wouldn't have caused a mass exodus of users to Xfce, KDE, MATE and Cinnamon.
Bezukhov

Post by Bezukhov »

We should be preaching from the rooftops, particularly at all those disappointed Windows 8 users, that LM with Cinnamon is a viable alternative. The beauty of it is that just about everything is is in the same area of the desktop in Cinnamon as it is in Vista and Win 7. At least that has been my experience.
nomko

Post by nomko »

bimsebasse wrote:
richardsdma wrote:come on...all those options that you mentioned are pretty useless for the bulk of the users.
Obviously not. Otherwise Cinnamon wouldn't have happened, and Gnome Shell and Unity wouldn't have caused a mass exodus of users to Xfce, KDE, MATE and Cinnamon.
Correct! The new Gnome3 shell and Unity isn't what users really want. Take a look at Unity, it was intended as a DE for..... netbooks!!! And later Canonical decided that it would look great on desktop's and laptops as well... I tried Unity and found it rather useless, spartan and not workable. Gnome3 shell looks better, but still not really usefull for desktop systems. Bimsebasse has a valid point by pointing out that a fast majority of Ubuntu users skipped Unity and went for Mint/Xfce/KDE/MATE. Gnome3/Unity feels more like DE for dummies rather than being productive for the more experienced user.
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

if you would force yourself to use the gnome-shell for one or two week you will find it very intuitive and productive, especially for a laptop with touchpad.
but nooooooo....we expect that gnome 2 to remain as it is for a lifetime: a boring primitive DE, way behind the xxi century.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Richard, I am a Gnome Shell user, I spend about 35% of my time in Gnome Shell, I design Gnome Shell themes, it was my preferred shell before Cinnamon matured, I like it. You're just being a fanboy, and it's not healthy or productive.
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

to be honest, i have a feeling that community holds a grudge to gnome-shell not because it is a bad DE but because it is supported by a big company like red hat.
i am not a fan of a certain DE, i am using both gnome shell and a kde-like one (W7, you know what i'm saying). but i want a DE to be very stable and i can tell you that cinnamon is far from being like this.
it is very sad for me that two of the most popular distributions don't use gnome-shell as a DE. just imagine a newbie in front of the buggy cinnamon.....he will run back to windows in no time. and bye-bye at least 10% of the market and also bye-bye quality proprietary video or wireless drivers.

LE. also, thanx for your work in this enviroment. i want to ask you....if you have good skills in programming, have you try to get in contact to AMD to help them in developing a better video drivers?
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

richardsdma wrote:to be honest, i have a feeling that community holds a grudge to gnome-shell not because it is a bad DE but because it is supported by a big company like red hat.
i am not a fan of a certain DE, i am using both gnome shell and a kde-like one (W7, you know what i'm saying). but i want a DE to be very stable and i can tell you that cinnamon is far from being like this.
it is very sad for me that two of the most popular distributions don't use gnome-shell as a DE. just imagine a newbie in front of the buggy cinnamon.....he will run back to windows in no time. and bye-bye at least 10% of the market and also bye-bye quality proprietary video or wireless drivers.

LE. also, thanx for your work in this enviroment. i want to ask you....if you have good skills in programming, have you try to get in contact to AMD to help them in developing a better video drivers?

AMD/ATI is laying people Off...If they want they could Open Drivers to the Linux Comm. :)

We GET It...You Don't LIKE Cinnamon..Get Over It...Use Gnome 3...Don't You think it's Time to Move On..The way You feel about Gnome Some feel The same about Cinnamon...The Mods. should Close This One :idea:
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Code: Select all

"Just imagine a newbie in front of the buggy cinnamon.....he will run back to windows in no time."
I assure it's not a buggy? DE that will make him run back to window.
As been using cinnamon a month now pretty rock solid for me.

And really comes down to supported stable drivers for all DE's and/or the learning curve as being the major players in determining if they stay or not. You keep harping on about Gnome loving and Cinnamon hating. When it really comes down to personal choice. You go on and on about rock solid gnome. When my cinnamon is already near that for me. What's the point of rock solid if it doesn't give you the things you want. That is why there are many choices. And NONE of Them are Wrong! Just not Right for You! Gnome isn't Right for Me!

Whether you like it or not that is how the cookie crumbles. As majority of problems with linux are not related to DE at all. But have to do with repo's and upgrade breakage and drivers and newbie lack of understanding to fix them. And then some is due to Applications lackage that linux doesn't have that the user needs as another reason for leaving. But definitely Not because one DE of the many choices of DE's being the reason.
MintyGo

Post by MintyGo »

I went from Gnome Shell to Cinnamonand the difference was significant. You don't know until you try - good stuff! :)

Return to “Open Chat”