Can Plymouth show splash screen when resuming?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can Plymouth show splash screen when resuming?

Postby Wolfgang_K on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:22 am

Hello!

I got Plymouth to work on Mint 13 (64 bit) when booting and shutting down and I was wondering if Plymouth is supposed to show a splash screen when the machine is resuming as well. Right now, the screen stays black while the machine is resuming. I guess most probably the troublemaker is the vga card by NVidia, that is run by NVidia's driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.19), which I installed manually. As far as I understand it, when I do hibernation, the NVidia driver is active and doesn't work with Plymouth.

If this is so and there is no solution to this little problem, then I just will have to live with it and I don't need to look for a solution any further. If there is a simple solution to the problem, I'd be very happy to look at something more than just a black screen when resuming. ;-)
Wolfgang_K
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can Plymouth show splash screen when resuming?

Postby wavespot on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:35 am

Plymouth is not involved in the suspend/hibernate process. However, I guess it could be with that kind of things :

Create this script in /etc/pm/sleep.d with execution rights

# /etc/pm/sleep.d/00_plymouth
#

case "$1" in
hibernate|suspend)
/bin/plymouth --show-splash
;;
thaw|resume)
/bin/plymouth --quit
;;
*) exit $NA
;;
esac

Also don't forget to run the plymouth daemon :

sudo plymouthd

I can't tell you if it's really working : for an unknown reason my PC actually refuse to suspend or hibernate :))
wavespot
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot