Maya MATE Log-In Won't Allow Session Options

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimwg

Maya MATE Log-In Won't Allow Session Options

Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

I enjoy being able to boot-up and have a choice of Maya XFCE sessions to start from, but Maya MATE won't even display such options on the log-in screen, even though I shut off and cold boot back up, MATE always returns to the last and only MATE "session". One Linux blog claims I'm missing a synaptic component to fix this "stuck default session" issue while another claims it's a "hack" and dangerous to use. I'm asking the more solid Linux mavens here what I should do.

Thanks!

Jim in NYC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AJ1000

Re: Maya MATE Log-In Won't Allow Session Options

Post by AJ1000 »

In the Mate Login screen did you press the middle button .. see picture here:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/install- ... dm-in.html

that looks like a window?

Basically type in your username but do not press enter. Press the middle button, select the session you want, and then press enter in the textbox. Finally enter the password. You will get a dialog asking if you want to change session just the one time, or you want to change the session permanently.

Alternatively you can try changing the theme:

Linux Mint offers you a Mint Display Manager (MDM) to configure a login session. You can use it to change a login screen or a theme you like in a few steps:

Go to Menu > Administration > "Login Window" to open this window "Login Window Preferences".
Under the "Local" tab, select a built-in theme such as "Circles", then log out and back in to try a new log-in screen.

Another riskier alternative is that you can change back to lightdm (which ubuntu uses):

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/how-to-u ... dm-in.html
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

Okay, all I get on reboot/log-in is a Welcome Box in a light blue field that's nothing like the desktop manger pictures in the blogs you linked to:

WELCOME
Username -- Textbox
OK
Start Again

Below are three boxes

OPTIONS
Select language
Select Session
Remote Login via XDMCP

BLANK
Last Session
MATE
Run Xclient Script
Secure Remote Connection
Xfce Session

LANGUAGE

Even though I filled in my username no text box pops up to chose or create a session if I select MATE. I do get such a select menu (identical to Blank) then a name session textbox when I select XFCE session from the Option's box. Is my set-up missing something?

Thanks!
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

What I explained to you above works for me when i swap between xbmc and mate sessions. I am puzzled why it does not work for you. Sorry I am unable to help.
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

AJ1000 wrote:What I explained to you above works for me when i swap between xbmc and mate sessions. I am puzzled why it does not work for you. Sorry I am unable to help.
Thanks for your efforts anyway! What do I need to completely uninstall MDM and GDM since I might as well stay on LightDM since none fix this issue and I can save flash drive room? The webupd8 and askubuntu sites only tell you how to install and switch between them. Thanks.

Jim in NYC

Return to “MATE”