install Mint instead of Ubuntu on Macbook Pro 3.1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alicebtoklas
Level 1
Level 1

install Mint instead of Ubuntu on Macbook Pro 3.1

Post by alicebtoklas »

Hi forum,
I'm trying to install Mint 13 on my Macbook Pro 15'' 3.1 for a dual boot Mint / Mac OS. Mint should actually replace Ubuntu which is already installed and working OK in dual boot with Mac OS using rEFIT and GRUB. The internal DVD player is dead so I'm working with an external (Sony) DVD player connected by USB. What happens when I boot with the Mint DVD in the player is the following:
- first (after a very long time, which is unusual) I get the rEFIT interface with the usual options ("Boot legacy OS from HD" - which is Ubuntu - and "Boot Mac OS from HD") and a new one which is "Boot Linux from CD"
- If I choose "Boot Linux from CD" I get a grey screen with the penguin for another very long time
- then I get the GRUB interface (same as usual) where I can only choose between Ubuntu, previous Linux versions, memtest and Mac OS. No mention of Mint. So I don't know what to do.

I've been reading a lot about dual boot and installing Mint on Macbook but I found nothing about installing Mint over Ubuntu (on an old MBP, what is more).

I would appreciate any help very, very much. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.2 Vanessa Cinnamon on Lenovo Thinkpad
alicebtoklas
Level 1
Level 1

Re: install Mint instead of Ubuntu on Macbook Pro 3.1

Post by alicebtoklas »

bump!
alicebtoklas
Level 1
Level 1

Re: install Mint instead of Ubuntu on Macbook Pro 3.1

Post by alicebtoklas »

To put it more simply I think GRUB doesn't detect the OS of the DVD or I need to tell GRUB to load the DVD instead of the usual OS. Someone has an idea?

Thanks

Alice

Return to “Installation & Boot”