Ubuntu replacement

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dpmccul

Ubuntu replacement

Post by dpmccul »

I have an older machine which Ubuntu no longer supports (graphics card). This machine is dual boot windows and Ubuntu.
I have two hard drives, one for each os. When I try to do a mint install, replace Ubuntu, I get the "failed to partition the selected disk as super user. Too many primary partitions.". Since Ubuntu is already running on this machine, and I am trying to replace it, the problem does not appear to be a Linux problem with partitions. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Ubuntu replacement

Post by Orbmiser »

During install pick "the Something else" instead of install "next to" so you can get to partitions page which will allow you to actually go to the partitions and delete the Ubuntu partition and then point mint to that partition. Would be the first thing I would try is taking a look at my partitions.

If you are using Install next to as the option then mint isn't going to automatically overwrite Ubuntu because it sees it as taken by an OS.

It needs to see some free or unallocated space. And if there is some in windows than it will make room. But then you would be stuck with 3 OS's on the system. The only way is to go in a delete the Ubuntu partition and create a new root / ext4 there in it's place and let it format that. You can also use the same swap space so can leave that alone.
Jim1938

Post by Jim1938 »

I understand that you have Windoz on one HD
and Ubuntu on a 2nd HD. Correct?

And you want to "replace" Ubuntu
because Ubuntu no longer supports your graphic card.
Correct?
It would seem that if Ubuntu will not support your card,
then Mint will not also. But if your tests prove otherwise, good.

Have you tested your replacement OS (Mint, unknown version)?
I would view YouTube videos on Mint (and other OSs) installation.
I would download and burn a live CD/DVD and play with it for a while,
before attempting installation.

I recommend your download GParted, and burn it to CD.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
Run it and wipe your Ubuntu HD completely.
Then you should not have any problem installing Mint
to the 2nd HD.

I recommend Mint 13 over Mint 14. Mint 14 isn't toilet trained as well as 13.
And Mint 13 has Long Term Support (LTS). 14 has no LTS.

Jim1938 == Mint 13 xfce 64 bit on diy box.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

http://youtu.be/UuL1NkXI7FQ how to setup mint using gparted - Gparted is already in the livecd!

http://youtu.be/kBrRL6iG0NM using the installer (ubiquity) after setting up your partitions. Or installing over an existing install partitions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”