Ramblings about flash

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alfanut

Ramblings about flash

Post by Alfanut »

Similar situations here. My first day using Linux Mint and I must say I am impressed! First install gave me Firefox 16 but that updated to 17.0.1 soon after. Shockwave 11.2 is there as well. Running a six year old home-built box with a 3.0 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, nVidia and in the past six years have run Widows 98 and XP Pro, as well as various Linux distros. Mandriva, PCLOS, openSuSE, and a few others. What's interesting is that I recently paid for my favorite movie at Amazon.com. Only Win XP will run it. On the various Linux distros, I either get sound or video or nothing at all. YouTube videos run fine. Never once a problem.

When I try launching that movie, the site tells me either my browser or my flash-player need updating, yet I can choose another movie trailer which runs perfectly, both sound and video.

Baffling! On another Distro's Forum, one respondent suggested that the Linux Community may well never receive support from Adobe or various other such organizations. I'm ready to believe that.

Bottom line -- Linux Mint is LOVELY! I could install my favorite midi player, Timidity, as well. Have not yet tweaked it with EAWPATS sound patch files without which Timidity just can't sound like it does with those patches! Awesome! Realistic!

OK, so I'm pouring out my heart and soul here -- chastise me, Moderator. I can stand it!

Having fun, for a change! Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Ramblings about flash

Post by xenopeek »

Good that you are having fun :D I've moved your post here though, as it wasn't helpful to OP's problem at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=118964. Kindly post thoughts and such in the chat sections.
eric k

Re: Ramblings about flash

Post by eric k »

You need to install the package 'hal', that will stop Amazon from hassling you.

I had the same issue months ago, Flash worked everywhere *but* Amazon; the link to Adobe they provide offers the solution. http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/mult ... aying.html

Hal used to be installed in Ubuntu and Mint by default, but a few releases back was removed because it had been superceded by another program, I believe.

Return to “Chat about Linux”