Mint 14 no splash screen instead lots of text

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oyabunbaba

Mint 14 no splash screen instead lots of text

Post by Oyabunbaba »

I got an issue with Mint 14 Cinnamon 64bit
While booting from live USB i got this nice mint splashscreen with green white dots. But after installing system, while booting i got whole bunch of text saying all details about loading files drivers etc, white and after a while yellow text's, till MDM appear, system works fine, but what might be the cause? My laptop use southbridge with intel card.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oyabunbaba

Re: Mint 14 no splash screen instead lots of text

Post by Oyabunbaba »

bump :(
kerykeion

Post by kerykeion »

I'm experiencing something similar.

During Live DVD install, there's also a nice Plymouth splash screen with a Linux Mint art and those five dots. However, after installation, my splash screen is now blank. I'm using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64-bit, not sure if this is intentional as I know Linux Mint 13 has a blank splash. What could be the cause of the black splash screen? I'm thinking of installing proprietary drivers, but this might ruin my setup. I tried the ./fixplymouth workaround, but it actually just broke my desktop screen and became locked in 1024x768.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep have posted multiple times asking about it. And got zero responses and hate the black screen during boot.
Don't know if it is loading and gives that died feeling.

Just a feeling. But also would prefer staring at a pretty moving picture than a dead black screen.
And is one of the fine tuning to give a distro that professional feel.
Newbies may feel they did something wrong with just black screen.
Sioux

Post by Sioux »

The original OP has a wall of text?!? I consider that an improvement ... :)

With Mint 14, my LCD always auto-configures itself on the Grub2 menu (Mint 13 always showed the menu in native 1440x900 60hz without my LCD doing that). Then upon hitting enter to boot to Mint, one of two things happen. I'll either get a total black screen until I hear a "ding" then the login prompt appears ... or ... I get a total black screen followed by "No signal", brief siesta into DPMS mode, "ding", then login screen. The only time I ever saw the actual Linux Mint slash screen is from the Live USB. Just absolutely annoying. Even adding the "verbose" option to Grub2 doesn't help -- that usually gives you that wall of text. Makes you think the computer is actually doing something. :D
Orbmiser wrote:Yep have posted multiple times asking about it. And got zero responses and hate the black screen during boot.
Doesn't surprise me -- it's the prevailing attitude in the Linux Mint "community" that if you're not searching the forums looking for solutions to problems they declared fix or solved some 3 or 4 distros previous, you deserve both the problem and no responses to your old and tired repeated threads. What?!? The Linux Mint blog, Community site, and its forums are broken or aren't loading in your browser?!? Because every random Tom, Dick, and Harry is suckin' down the bandwidth hammering the "search" function like peyote dealers working straight commission?!? No ... never ... just not possible! Get a better ISP, skeezits!! :P :lol:

I know ten people just took that attitude as code for "get another distro" ...
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Doesn't surprise me -- it's the prevailing attitude in the Linux Mint "community" that if you're not searching the forums looking for solutions to problems they declared fix or solved some 3 or 4 distros previous, you deserve both the problem and no responses to your old and tired repeated threads.
But I always do search for solutions and half the time I find the solutions. Generally only post when either I don't find the solution or don't know that I didn't phrase right. Why I always use "Linux Mint da.da..sa" in google to get the most from searches.
htbeef

Post by htbeef »

From FAQ:

Black splash screen
In Linux Mint the boot splash screen is completely black. This is by design. Once the system is installed the boot sequence is relatively fast. The black loading sequence doesn't look out of place and it looks consistent across all computers, whatever driver you're using. If you'd rather get a splash screen you can select one by typing the following command and selecting mint-logo:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
Calgacus

Post by Calgacus »

This is not a setting that's turned off - I tried the fix the gentleman posted in the post above mine and no matter what I select I get a black screen on boot up with a "No Signal Detected" on my monitor until I see the prompt for my username.

This is not a setting, this is some kind of flaw or bug.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mint 14 Cinnamon (32bit)
debbie

Post by debbie »

I used to have a black screen when I booted up instead of the Linux Mint logo. Then I found a website which gave these instructions on how to fix the issue and it worked well for me. I now have Linux MInt on view when I load up. These were the commands to type in the terminal. Type them in one at a time and press 'Enter' each time.

sudo update-initramfs

At this point it would be a good thing to restart your computer to see this has succeeded. If you get a success but the Plymouth splash (Linux Mint logo) stays for only a fleeting few seconds, then you could type in this command as well to fix the delayed loading of the splash screen. Again, type the following commands one at a time and press 'Enter' each time. To make sure you get the command right, you could copy and paste instead of type.

sudo -s

echo FRAMEBUFFER=y >>/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash

update-initramfs -u

Hope this helps.
Ponny

Post by Ponny »

Meow

It helps. Thank you. But I had to execute all this commands - first two - and after restart - next free.
Thankyo, meow and good night.

By the way. At the shutdown is stil no..... brother of splash-screen. But shutdown is extremly fast and there is no need for some..... moving picture.

Ponny
debbie

Post by debbie »

Well if you have now got your Plymouth splash screen, then the commands you typed (or copied, pasted) were worth the effort, although i know for some people the terminal is a frightening place to be. I haven't got anything but a black screen at shutdown - i never have and it doesn't bother me. Just so long as it does shutdown is all I care about.

Night to you too,, :wink:
kerykeion

Post by kerykeion »

Debbie, thanks for the tip!

Initially, I only had a blank screen, but now I have the Linux Mint logo with the dots in it. Steps below on how I did it, maybe this could help other people.

1. What I did was to install AMD/ATI proprietary drivers (fglrx), can be seen via Software Sources, Additional Drivers tab.
2. Opened up the command line and did a sudo amdconfig --initial

The step above is to generate a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, I got the idea here.
SIDENOTE: This step also fixed my GPU temperature reading for my HD5570 video card. Doing an inxi -s using AMD/ATI Open Source drivers, my GPU temperature at idle is 70 C, now it's 47 C using proprietary drivers.

3. Then I followed Debbie's second instruction which fixes the delay. I didn't do the first set of instructions because the logo should be loading anyway based on its plymouth config (at least for Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit).
sudo su
echo FRAMEBUFFER=y >>/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
update-initramfs -u
Hope this helps!
thomas.raines
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thomas.raines »

Ok, I had everything working just fine. Then a few days ago, I booted my computer and there was nothing but a blank screen after the boot splash ran. I tried many things to fix it, but all failed. I know there was an update for something concerning fglxr but I can't remember what. I'm not fully convinced that was even the issue. But I couldn't even boot into recovery mode... everything was a blank screen. So, I wiped my hard drive and restored everything (thank god I had just recently back everything up). However, this is NOT my current issue.

Now that I am up and running again,
I do not have a bootsplash anymore.
I have tried the suggestion:
Adding

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1024x768-24, mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap" to /etc/default/grub
FRAMEBUFFER=y to /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash (Which is there by default)
sudo update-grub
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo reboot
**EDIT/UPDATE**
I fixed it by removing the what I had added to /etc/default/grub, and added the line:

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768
below the line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
In short, that part of my grub looks like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768
Hope this helps someone!

Return to “Installation & Boot”