Installing software on a non-admin account

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing software on a non-admin account

Postby 3xOSC on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:26 pm

So I recently came across a great piece of anti-theft/tracking software: http://www.preyproject.com. How it works is that, should your laptop get stolen and the thief fires your laptop up, it tries to connec to any open wifi signals and sends the owner the laptop's current geolocation, screenshots of your desktop, and if you have a webcam, pictures of his face. (if this sounds too good to be true, check the website out).

But here's my problem: I don't want to thief to go into my main account where I do ALLLLLL my work, and have passwords saved in my Firefox (banking, facebook, email).
I could prevent that by setting a password (screw auto login) but that defeats the purpose of Prey, if the thief can't connected to the internet, my chances of recovering my notebook is 0.

So I decided to make a "dummy" account, honeypot, if you will and that's going to be secondary account (which I highly doubt I will ever use) and call it "3xOSC's Work" where you DO NOT need a password to access. From there, I want to install Prey, a browser, and other things to make it look "normal" overall.

But here's the problem, I'm not planning on making this honey pot account "adminstrator level", only "standard" because....well, why would I want to give them admin privileges. At the same time, I'm really stuck on installing software on this secondary account when it doesn't have admin.

So my question here is: How do I install preyproject, browsers and other sorts of stuff on this honeypot account?

(ps: oh and if you guys know of any other cool anti-theft or tracking software, please let me know, i'm open to suggestion and i'm all for security and safety).
3xOSC
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing software on a non-admin account

Postby 3xOSC on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks? -_-
3xOSC
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics