To do an update after install or not?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
larrinski

To do an update after install or not?

Post by larrinski »

Hi everyone,
I am a recent switcher from another distro, and thought I'd give the LMDE a try on my Macbook Pro. I got it up and running no problem, but once I did a software update, on reboot it went to a command line. So, I re-installed(seemed quicker at the time than try to log into another computer and search for a fix...).

Anyway, I've been running stable for a couple of days and looking at the Mint Update Manager, it says there are 1208 updates available! Holy crap...

I have to say that I'm a bit hesitant to try to do another update. Any advice on what may have happened the first time around? And is it normal to see such a huge update list?

Cheers. :)

PS- I don't mind doing updates in the command line, as that is how I did my updates in PinguyOS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
widget

Re: To do an update after install or not?

Post by widget »

Do the package upgrade.

That is what is being called for. The LMDE system is to give you stable snapshots of Debian testing. This means they have to put together their own repo with package from the Debian testing repos which change all the time. I know this well because I use either Debian testing or Sid as my production OS.

I just installed, on my 64bit box, a fresh install of LMDE32 and upgraded it (day before yesterday). Works great. It is abit behind my testing installs but it is very stable and I have to watch the testing installs for possible bugs all the time.

LMDE64 will be installed on that drive this evening and then updated.

If you had booted to your new install and immediately checked your Update Manager and looked at the Update Pack info you would have found that you were running Update Pack 4 and the current one is Update Pack 5.

Update Pack 5 is simply the newer stable snapshot of Debian Wheezy development.

Jump in, the water is fine.
larrinski

Post by larrinski »

Thanks! I knew I'd done something a bit wrong. Instead of going to the Mint Update Manager, I did apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade. I'll play with the Mint Update Manager tonight. I did notice something about Update Packs.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

larrinski wrote:I knew I'd done something a bit wrong.
well not exactly :D mintupdate gives you some extra info (specially useful is the UP info) but there's no problem at all using update/dist-upgrade (both methods accomplish exactly the same)
larrinski

Post by larrinski »

zerozero wrote:
larrinski wrote:I knew I'd done something a bit wrong.
well not exactly :D mintupdate gives you some extra info (specially useful is the UP info) but there's no problem at all using update/dist-upgrade (both methods accomplish exactly the same)
Well, that's what bothers me then. I did the update and then had no desktop environment on reboot...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

can you be more specific?
what kind of error you see in the screen?
where does it stop?
what fails? is grub not showing up?
it looks like it goes to boot but X fails and sends you to tty?
what graphic card you have in that computer? have you installed the non-free drivers for it (if any available)?
larrinski

Post by larrinski »

zerozero wrote:can you be more specific?
what kind of error you see in the screen?
where does it stop?
what fails? is grub not showing up?
it looks like it goes to boot but X fails and sends you to tty?
what graphic card you have in that computer? have you installed the non-free drivers for it (if any available)?
I'll do another attempt at the update and report back if it doesn't work. Thanks for helping. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”