Sound icon disappeared after last update

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drwho

Sound icon disappeared after last update

Post by drwho »

After automatic updates pushed through the update manager yesterday (Dec. 7?), the sound icon has disappeared from the system tray. Does anyone know how to restore it? I am running Mate on Mint 14 Nadia.

As a note, one reason why I uprgraded from Mint 13 to 14 was to fix an application for which the audio broke due to an update pushed through the Mint 13 update manager. The developers have done a great job on Mint 14 (much better memory management and more stable than 13). but I think that more care should be taken to not push updates that break things through the update manager.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
drwho

Re: Sound icon disappeared after last update

Post by drwho »

I got the icon back by right-clicking on the bottom bar to the left of the system tray then using "Add" and finding the icon. However, even when I use the "Move" option (by right clicking on the bottom bar) I am unable to restore it to its former position so the system tray has an unsightly gap where the sound icon formerly was.
drwho

Re: Sound icon disappeared after last update

Post by drwho »

I got it back - I went to preferences/srartup programs and clicked on "Add" In the dialog box. I used the name "Volume Control" and for command I used "mate-volume-control-applet". I clicked save and rebooted.

Return to “MATE”