[Solved] cinnamon & gnome-shell crash on login

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[Solved] cinnamon & gnome-shell crash on login

Postby pseudomorph on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:18 am

Hi all,

I have an issue very similar to that described by suicidejack over in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=87629

The symptoms are that since this morning when I put my laptop into hibernate I've not been able to log into either gnome-shell, gnome-fallback or cinnamon. Each desktop crashes with the error message "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please log out and try again."

I can, however, log into & use Mate and a newly created test account does not suffer from the issue. This indicates to me that the problem is local to my account & most likely something to do with gnome3

After much googling, I've not come up with a solution that works for me.

Things I have tried include:
Ensuring compiz is not attempting to start on boot.
Removal of any gnome-shell or cinnamon extensions/applets that might be causing a problem.
Resetting gsettings as described in this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/982051

And much more that I've not documented.

Looking for a little help on where to go from here.

Edit: For the record this LMDE installation is on a Macbook 2,1 that uses Intel graphics that appear to be working correctly.
Code: Select all

[pseudomorph@blackbook:~]$ inxi -F

System:    Host blackbook Kernel 3.2.0-3-486 i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
CPU:         Single core Intel Core2 T7200 (-UP-) cache 4096 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips 3990.05 clocked at 1000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.12.1.902 Res: 1280x800@59.9hz
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 8.0.3 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1 Atheros AR5418 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5008E 802.11(a)bgn] (PCI-Express) driver ath9k BusID: 02:00.0
           Card-2 Marvell 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver sky2 v: 1.30 at port 1000 BusID: 01:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (36.3% used) 1: /dev/sda SAMSUNG_HN 750.2GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 44G used: 8.1G (20%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 44G used: 8.1G (20%) fs: ext4
           ID:/boot size: 485M used: 38M (9%) fs: ext2 ID:/home size: 550G used: 254G (49%) fs: ext4
           ID:swap-1 size: 3.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes 128 Uptime 27 min Memory 285.9/2006.9MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23
pseudomorph
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: [Solved] cinnamon & gnome-shell crash on login

Postby pseudomorph on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:08 pm

I finally got some time to troubleshoot this issue and have manged to solve it reasonably easily.

~/.xession-errors showed up a number of errors, none of which was particularly helpful.

After a little more digging I thought the error may lie in dconf, so tried removing ~/.config/dconf/ and managed to log in fine.

Removing dconf did mean that a few of my Cinnamon tweaks (themes, etc) needed to be redone.

Hope this helps someone in future.
pseudomorph
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] cinnamon & gnome-shell crash on login

Postby linucksrox on Fri May 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks! This also worked for me.

I attempted the "upgrade" from Nadia to Olivia RC, but somehow botched the cinnamon config causing the same issues upon login. I then installed a "fresh" copy of Olivia RC, forgetting to realize that when it mounted my unformatted /home partition it would keep trying to use the old config files. After deleting that dconf directory it booted right up with no issues.
Code: Select all
sudo rm -rf ~/.config/dconf
linucksrox
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions