nautilus 2.28.1 on Mint 14?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cxviii

nautilus 2.28.1 on Mint 14?

Post by cxviii »

is it possible to install nautilus 2.28.1 (from Ubuntu 9:10) on Nadia? There were a few things about that version of nautilus that I really liked (resizing folder images for example) that I haven't come across with any other available file manager... I thought it might be as easy as downloading the tar file and installing, but that doesn't seem to work (unless I was doing it wrong).

thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: nautilus 2.28.1 on Mint 14?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, cxviii.

Trying to mix executable files of totally different Linux Mint/Ubuntu releases is a really unwise idea. Ubuntu 9.10 still depended on the Gnome2 desktop, so did Nautilus 2.28.1. The current Nautilus 3.4.2 expects to find Gnome3 libraries.
As a consequence Nautilus 2.28.1 would not run on Mint 14. If you managed to install it, it might pull in a lot of outdated libraries which it needed and cause conflicts affecting current software.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

did you try caja?
it's Mate's file manager. Mate itself is a renaming of Gnome 2 so there aren't naming conflicts so everything can still be used as before, with or without gnome 3 libraries and components installed.
So, Caja is basically Nautilus 2.32 with maybe some modifications and fixes, it would be reasonably close to Nautilus 2.28, unless the Gnome project "simplified" away the feature you're looking for in 2.30 or 2.32.

here a simple "apt-get install caja" works without you breaking anything.
cxviii

Post by cxviii »

Hey, thanks guys. Baptiste: I've been using Caja since I installed Mint, and I really like it with the exception of the two or three things from 2.28.1 that I am a big fan of. In fact I find that version and Nautilus and Caja to be almost identical in every other way.

KarlChen: I think you nailed it. So much for that idea :(

Rick

Return to “MATE”