HDMI Audio Out Mint 14 - Can't get the option

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sarahr

HDMI Audio Out Mint 14 - Can't get the option

Post by sarahr »

Hi -

I'm trying to set up HDMI audio out on my Lenovo i5. The audio card in question is the onboard HDA Intel PCH. I followed instructions on another (solved) thread under Mint 12 that gave this set of tasks:

Code: Select all

1. Make sure the System Sound Preferences Hardware Profile is set to one of the analog sound options, e.g., Analog Stereo Duplex
2. open Terminal and run "alsamixer".  Unmute all the S/PDIF outputs, e.g., I had S/PDIF, S/PDIF Def and S/PDIF 1, and had to unmute two of them.  That left Master, PCM, and all S/PDIF's unmuted. Hit Esc to exit alsamixer.
3. Still in Terminal, run "gstreamer-properties".  in the window titled Multimedia Systems Selector, set the Default Output Plugin: to Alsa - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture.  Try Pipeline Test to be sure you get HDMI/TV sound output. Close that window.
4.Go back to System Sound Preferences Hardware Profile and select one of the HDMI output options, e.g., Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output + Analog Stereo Input.  Test Speakers to make sure you get left and right sound through the TV/Monitor.
5. That's it.  Close up.  Enjoy HDMI sound.
I ran alsamixer from the command line (and also installed a GUI version) and unmuted S/PDIF. I then ran gstreamer-properties and in that GUI under Default Output I set the plugin to:
ALSA

and Device to:
HDMI 0

Pipeline then changed itsef to: alsasink device ="hw:0.3"

At that point, I rant the test, and had audio coming out of my TV via HDMI (the test beep signal).

When I go back to the Sound control panel, however, I have no option to select HDMI as an output; all I have is "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" and "Speakers" or "Headphones" in the "Connector" pull-down.

Can anyone tell me what final step I need to perform here to get audio out over HDMI? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sarahr

Re: HDMI Audio Out Mint 14 - Can't get the option

Post by sarahr »

Well, I went back to the Sound pane, looked in the Hardware tab again, and there was the option for HDMI out, so I selected it and now it's working. Who knows. :D

Return to “Hardware Support”