open vi in new tab

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

open vi in new tab

Postby srinathmkce on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:18 pm

hi i am using linux mint maya . in my terminal window if i type vi filename it opens in the same window. i want an option in which my files open independently so that i can use both terminal and file.

problem is , when i code , i need to quit and run again and again. if its in seperate tab, i can just write and run..
srinathmkce
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: open vi in new tab

Postby karlchen on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Hello, srinathmkce.

Not 100% what you asked for. But in the terminal window there is the menu item "File" => "New Tab". Is this not good enough?
Vi does not have a window of its own. It is meant to run inside the current terminal window where you launch it.
But "File" => "New Tab" enables you to run several terminal sessions inside a single terminal window.

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions