<SOLVED> Black screen,proprietary driver for Intel GMA 3600

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ixpnu

<SOLVED> Black screen,proprietary driver for Intel GMA 3600

Post by ixpnu »

I have a Acer Aspire D270 netbook with a "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600" card, on which I run Mint 13. After activating the suggested proprietary driver for the graphics card, I no longer have graphics. The computer hangs during boot. I can however switch runlevel and login to the terminal.

How would I proceed to revert to the original driver?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stratus_ss

Re: Black screen,proprietary driver for Intel GMA 3600

Post by stratus_ss »

You could boot into recovery mode (when the computer boots press and hold shift to bring up the bootloader options)

Once you are in, you would have to identify what package was called and remove it.

To be honest I actually didnt know that Intel did any propriatery drivers, I thought all of their linux drivers were open source because they are done at the kernel level. Anything done at that level is required to be opensource or it is not admitted
ixpnu

Re: Black screen,proprietary driver for Intel GMA 3600

Post by ixpnu »

The proprietary drivers are appararently called "drm driver for the Intel GMA500" and "Intel Cedarview graphics driver", and they seem to be working now. I have no idea why. I guess I got spooked by the many threads where people can't get this graphics card to work at all. But thanks!

Edit: if you came here looking for a solution to a similar problem, please note that Mint 14/Ubuntu 12.10 don't work that well. Has to be 13.

Return to “Hardware Support”