[SOLVED] - WMP54G installation

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Michaeln
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] - WMP54G installation

Post by Michaeln »

Hi all,

This is my first post. I am an absolute newbie to Linux. Have spent all my life on Windows. I recently installed LinuxMint 11 on a desktop PC and I am just beginning to get to grips with it. I have absolutely no knowledge of the Terminal (and most other parts of Linux).

I recently installed a wmp54g (V2) wifi card and would like to know how to install drivers for it. I have read a lot of posts about the card but quite frankly a lot of the stuff I didn't understand. Where can I d/l the drivers from? How do I install them.

I would ask you to appreciate that really know nothing about linux but am eager to learn.

Regards,

Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: WMP54G installation

Post by remoulder »

Michaeln wrote:wmp54g (V2) wifi card ... how to install drivers ... Where can I d/l the drivers from?
Drivers for this card are built in, you do not need to d/l or install another driver (this is the norm for linux), however I believe this adapter uses the Broadcom 4306 chipset and for this you need to install additional firmware from Broadcom which is legally not allowed to be included in the distribution. See http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p475967 for instructions.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Michaeln
Level 1
Level 1

Re: WMP54G installation - SOLVED

Post by Michaeln »

Hi remoulder,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I followed your instructions and after a lot of trying, it worked perfectly.

Michael
eejd

Re: [SOLVED] - WMP54G installation

Post by eejd »

Newbie Q:

I have the same issue with WMP54G (v1.1) card. It was not recognized by Mint 14 Cinnamin 32bit.

Per the forum posts, I used the Software Manager to install the following:
b43-fwcutter
firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
firmware-b43legacy-installer

Reboot, but no change (not recognizing the WMP54G card).

How do install the drivers/programs I downloaded? I cannot even find the files that were downloaded.

For example, when I open System Tools / Administration / Wireless Network Drivers, I cannot even find the downloaded drivers in the list, and I do not know where to go to find these drivers?

Sorry for a lame newbie question.

James C.

Return to “Networking”