open vi in new tab

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
srinathmkce

open vi in new tab

Post by srinathmkce »

hi i am using linux mint maya . in my terminal window if i type vi filename it opens in the same window. i want an option in which my files open independently so that i can use both terminal and file.

problem is , when i code , i need to quit and run again and again. if its in seperate tab, i can just write and run..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: open vi in new tab

Post by karlchen »

Hello, srinathmkce.

Not 100% what you asked for. But in the terminal window there is the menu item "File" => "New Tab". Is this not good enough?
Vi does not have a window of its own. It is meant to run inside the current terminal window where you launch it.
But "File" => "New Tab" enables you to run several terminal sessions inside a single terminal window.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Beginner Questions”