Return-of-the-King-GNOME-2

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
wayne128

Return-of-the-King-GNOME-2

Post by wayne128 »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Return-of-the-King-GNOME-2

Post by xenopeek »

Right, what a load of balony. Sorry, but I didn't like how Katherine Noyes wrote this. Instead of getting to the point, she seems to be deliberatly vague or she hasn't understood what the GNOME developers are actually proposing.
Katherine Noyes wrote:Then, just last week, countless users' prayers were answered when it was announced that GNOME 2 was coming back.
No, GNOME 2 is not coming back. The GNOME developers have just announced that they will directly support a number of Gnome Shell extensions that will make Gnome Shell look an behave a little more like GNOME 2.

For factual reporting, visit a site like Phoronix instead: GNOME 3.x Will Bring Back Some GNOME 2 Features
eric k

Post by eric k »

But they are still dropping Gnome Classic (Fallback Mode).

Having the GNOME project support a set of Shell extensions that provide some of the functionality of GNOME 2 still doesn't help their users with hardware that cannot support 3D acceleration via GPU or the llvmpipe CPU scheme they've adopted; those folks are swinging in the wind now.

This completely smacks of the GNOME devs *finally* conceding to user discontent with the direction of the OS, and in doing so effectively telling a large percentage of said disgruntled users "We really think you should be running XFCE anyways, you're only holding back the 'progress' going on over here in GNOME-land, we've got our own OS to build now, or didn't you hear?"

It may sound nice at first glance, but I think it's more about saving some public face than actually addressing the oft-voiced concerns of GNOME users, former and current.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

eric k wrote:But they are still dropping Gnome Classic (Fallback Mode).

This completely smacks of the GNOME devs *finally* conceding to user discontent with the direction of the OS, and in doing so effectively telling a large percentage of said disgruntled users "We really think you should be running XFCE anyways, you're only holding back the 'progress' going on over here in GNOME-land, we've got our own OS to build now, or didn't you hear?"

It may sound nice at first glance, but I think it's more about saving some public face than actually addressing the oft-voiced concerns of GNOME users, former and current.
Yep that's what I got from it.

"Ok...ok.... You Guys were Right WE Were Less Right!" As they couldn't come right out admit that they don't care what users want. As they Know what We Need and Determined to cram it down our Throats whether We like it or Not. It's for our own Good after all. :?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I usually find Katherine Noyes' articles to be fairly well written and factual. However, all of her recent articles on Gnome seem to say that they are bringing Gnome 2 back, which is not true. I am disappointed that she didn't point out that it was simply a set of extensions. I am beginning to think that she doesn't quite understand how this will work, based on her articles usually being fairly factual and not overly misleading.

Return to “Open Chat”