Compiz issues in LMDE with Mate

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mark1mint

Compiz issues in LMDE with Mate

Post by mark1mint »

I'm posting here as I didn't find a more specific section,please move if needed:I have these packages installed

Code: Select all

ii  compiz                                        0.8.4-5.1                       OpenGL window and compositing manager
ii  compiz-core                                   0.8.4-5.1                       OpenGL window and compositing manager
ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-extra                   0.8.4-2                         Compiz Fusion plugins - extra collection
ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-main                    0.8.4-2+b1                      Compiz Fusion plugins - main collection
ii  compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported             0.8.4-3                         Compiz Fusion plugins - "unsupported" collection
ii  compiz-gtk                                    0.8.4-5.1                       OpenGL window and compositing manager - Gtk window decorator
ii  compiz-plugins                                0.8.4-5.1                       OpenGL window and compositing manager - plugins
ii  compizconfig-backend-gconf                    0.8.4-1                         Compiz Fusion configuration system - gconf backend
ii  compizconfig-settings-manager                 0.8.4-2                         Compizconfig Settings Manager
ii  libcompizconfig0                              0.8.4-2                         Configuration settings library for compiz-fusion
ii  python-compizconfig                           0.8.4-2+b1                      Compizconfig bindings for python
and an ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series (actually a SAPPHIRE HD 5450 which the system incorrectly detects) with ATI proprietary driver 1:12-6+point-1 (ATI driver 12.2 according to the control panel).

I have some issues with Compiz-it does actually work,but is kinda buggy : for starters,it has to often (but not always) be started with compiz --replace & right after boot,because something in the window manager is out of whack (windows have no borders and can't be grabbed/resized) despite the fact that this line is added to start up applications as required,the show desktop plugin often misbehaves because when I move the open windows out of the way and then try to regain access to them,some running applications then will almost disappear,in that they will be still visible in the taskbar as minimized but when clicked on they will pop up for just a second and then go away again,it is a compiz issue as running marco --replace in a terminal will instantly fix this,otherwise I will have to terminate the misbehaving window and restart the application to regain access to it.
Also,and even more annoyingly,quite a lot of submenus and tooltips aren't drawn properly,they are blank and only get visible when hovering the mouse over them again or spontaneously after some delay,but taking a screenshot of this is proving to be impossible as the screenshot either hangs while this issue persists or waits for the object to draw properly-as you may imagine this is rather annoying,in that lots of menus and useful tooltips aren't visible at first when needed.
If anyone has any clue on what may be the issue(s) here,or has spotted any possible conflict between the installed compiz packages,or any unnecessary package that has to be removed,please let me know-feel free to come with any suggestion,as I'd really like to definitely switch to Mintdebian but these issues are holding me back.

I've also run the compiz-check script hoping to find some clue but it reports no error,this system is totally compatible with Compiz according to the script.

I was also thinking about installing the xserver-xorg-core-dbg package,to properly debug Compiz,even if this means that it'll print out a load of information that I won't really understand on my own.

EDIT : I can't imagine no one else is using Compiz effects in LMDE with MATE,it's a fork of Gnome 2 so that would come naturally,so how's going for other users? Does it really work smoothly out of the box,no issues at all ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dominic-y
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Compiz issues in LMDE with Mate

Post by dominic-y »

you need another compiz

check this
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=114613

still work on my LMDE 201303
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

dominic-y wrote:you need another compiz
I don't know why people bother installing software from dead projects. IMBO the easiest way to get compiz effects is to install KDE.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

@ catweazel : Excellent,if I weren't using MATE and intending to continue so.
And,compiz may be dead,but it's in the repos still.

@ dominic-y : thanks,I was thinking already about that:does it work better that the "default" compiz package in LMDE ? Did you experience any issue?
dominic-y
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dominic-y »

@mark1mint:
I had tried default compiz that is too much problem.
Forks compiz that I use so far so good

Only one problem in Forks compiz:
There is a funtion Expo (I set "Expo edge" with TopLeft corner) very often.
The problem is TopLeft corner Expo funtion will not working after sometime(unknow time)
but Expo key (<Super> e) still working

This problem will solve after system reboot or X-windows restart

it's not big problem for me

Return to “LMDE Archive”