Richard Stallman on Ubuntu spying

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Richard Stallman on Ubuntu spying

Post by coffee412 »

This blog from Richard Stallman ( http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do ) talks about the evil of ubuntu. I certainly understand his point of view and agree with it. Gee, Thats why Im here basically. But I do have a question beyond that.

My question is, Does the spying code run on all the desktop spins offered by ubuntu or just on unity? Also, Does mint remove this code from their fork of ubuntu or not? Also coming to mind if its present in ubuntu server 12.04 ?

Im sorry, I have not kept up on this issue as I have been quite busy with other things. I did hear a bit about it a while ago but that was it.

Thanks in advance,

coffee412 :|
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Dwel

Re: Richard Stallman on Ubuntu spying

Post by Dwel »

I would use LMDE or straight Debian. Or LMDE.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Mint uses evil nonfree plugins and evil codecs and other evil stuff - you'll need to find a new distro altogether if you want to go all-in with this nonsense.
hugoleal85
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugoleal85 »

I know Mint have nonfree codecs. My question is: Does Mint have this specific "Ubuntu spyware" or not?

Thanks in advance.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

coffee412 wrote: My question is, Does the spying code run on all the desktop spins offered by ubuntu or just on unity? Also, Does mint remove this code from their fork of ubuntu or not? Also coming to mind if its present in ubuntu server 12.04 ?

Thanks in advance,

coffee412 :|
as far as I know it only affects the unity desktop as others do not have that search function. So if you stay away from Unity you should be alright. But that said who knows what Ubuntu may be planning behind closed doors :D
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You can turn it off or completely remove this "feature" if you want in Ubuntu: http://askubuntu.com/questions/192269/h ... m-the-dash

I just did a search in synaptic and Mint does not have the package installed: unity-lens-shopping
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

hugoleal85 wrote:I know Mint have nonfree codecs. My question is: Does Mint have this specific "Ubuntu spyware" or not?

Thanks in advance.
You moved to Mint from Ubuntu because... "the evil of ubuntu. I certainly understand his point of view and agree with it. Gee, Thats why Im here basically" - apart from the brand new shopping lens, which can be disabled easily, Ubuntu is more FOSS than Mint, so that doesn't make any kind of sense.

At the speed we're going now, independent thought will be absent from the internet come 2037.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

bimsebasse wrote:
At the speed we're going now, independent thought will be absent from the internet come 2037.
Not as long as your here bimsebasse, Independent thought will still be around and that's a good thing :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

The new shopping lens should be opt-in, not opt-out, Hopefully they'll change it to opt-in in the future.

But, calling it spyware is an exaggeration. And, as has been pointed out, one can turn it off, or even use another desktop in Ubuntu instead of Unity.

And, I agree with bimsebasse here:
bimsebasse wrote:apart from the brand new shopping lens, which can be disabled easily, Ubuntu is more FOSS than Mint
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

MALsPa wrote:The new shopping lens should be opt-in, not opt-out, Hopefully they'll change it to opt-in in the future.

But, calling it spyware is an exaggeration. And, as has been pointed out, one can turn it off, or even use another desktop in Ubuntu instead of Unity.
Agreed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Checked Ubuntu Server 12.05 -- Nope. Not there.
Checked Mint 14 -- Nope not there either.

Therefore, Im happy. I like the codecs being added. I dont really see the codecs as evil. I just see them as icing on the cake.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

bimsebasse wrote:... At the speed we're going now, independent thought will be absent from the internet come 2037.
+1. It's rare enough already ;)
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

The often used term "spying" is very strong - kind of a paranoia. Not using or defending Unity but I like Google, for example, because it does keep track of my location and searches and makes things more relevant for me, but some people think that practice is evil and spying. The "free" software that I have used often lacks the function to be very useful. Not to discount the contributions Stallman has made, Linus Torvalds remarked that his black and white thinking is ultimately not very good for us. Give me all the non-free stuff you got Mint - don't hold back - keep it useful.

Pat
asaguiar

Post by asaguiar »

The initial question has *not* been answered so far. Is there any body out there in the Mint Team with this minimum bit of information about a real problem that has already been known for a while now?

Does Mint *remove* de ubuntu spyware trash code? A simple direct question to be answered with *one* word (in a universe of only only *two* possible words)!

Besides, it would be nice to have a list os servers names and IPs the ubuntu spies use so we all can include in our ban lists of browsers, proxies, squidguard, etc. Such a list should be easy to get by now! Unfortunately I do not know how to hack such things.

And what are you people doing about that? Watching? Reading speaches and news? Do your part, the most important: REMOVE/STOP/QUIT YOUR SUPPORT!!! Simple protests in blogs certainly contribute to turn the name ubuntu (and everything ubuntu related) into a curse. But there is a lot more that can be done.

Suspending all donations immediately (my humble small amount is already suspended) to all Linux projects is surely going to be so effective. Suspend donations not only to ubuntu and mint but also to every software project that ubuntu distributes until the project owner assures us that our prefered software will *not* feed ubuntu greed! Not even ubuntu has the resources to fork everything and will shrink inevitably.

We are many, Amazon-ubuntu is one. Stop buying stuff from Amazon!!!! Have already done a year ago that because of Amazon's feeble handling of the deffective stuff they deploy. It's is easy to live without Amazon! There are alternatives. A bit more expensive? As Nietzsche taught us, "no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

Suspend donations immediately!!!! Buy nothing from Amazon!!!

It is that simple! The fact is that all of these guys live from our support and yet they chose to abuse us!!! Quit this support and asphyxiate these abusive guys.

My 2 cents.

Aguiar
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

asaguiar wrote:The initial question has *not* been answered so far. Is there any body out there in the Mint Team with this minimum bit of information about a real problem that has already been known for a while now?

Does Mint *remove* de ubuntu spyware trash code? A simple direct question to be answered with *one* word (in a universe of only only *two* possible words)!
Au contraire mon petit ami:
altair4 wrote:I just did a search in synaptic and Mint does not have the package installed: unity-lens-shopping
coffee412 wrote:Checked Ubuntu Server 12.05 -- Nope. Not there.
Checked Mint 14 -- Nope not there either.

Therefore, Im happy.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

asaguiar wrote:The initial question has *not* been answered so far. Is there any body out there in the Mint Team with this minimum bit of information about a real problem that has already been known for a while now?

RTFT
Besides, it would be nice to have a list os servers names and IPs the ubuntu spies use so we all can include in our ban lists of browsers, proxies, squidguard, etc. Such a list should be easy to get by now! Unfortunately I do not know how to hack such things.
http://sourceforge.net/p/peerguardian/wiki/pgl-Main/
Suspending all donations immediately (my humble small amount is already suspended) to all Linux projects is surely going to be so effective. Suspend donations not only to ubuntu and mint but also to every software project that ubuntu distributes until the project owner assures us that our prefered software will *not* feed ubuntu greed! Not even ubuntu has the resources to fork everything and will shrink inevitably.

We are many, Amazon-ubuntu is one. Stop buying stuff from Amazon!!!! Have already done a year ago that because of Amazon's feeble handling of the deffective stuff they deploy. It's is easy to live without Amazon! There are alternatives. A bit more expensive? As Nietzsche taught us, "no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

Suspend donations immediately!!!! Buy nothing from Amazon!!!
"Build a bridge out of her!"
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Both the amazon shopping in ubuntu's dash (search) bar and recording of all activity can easily be disabled in ubuntu...they provide those options in the "privacy settings" section of the system settings..takes about a minute....no biggie :)

Really can't figure why such a fuss is made about this...some even like the amazon results in the search and certainly with all the huge amount of investment Shuttleworth makes in ubuntu, he shouldn't be criticized for wanting to get a bit of $ back....

Don't forget, ubuntu is the "base" that mint is built around...and a better ubuntu can only mean a better mint too :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Let's not forget the Mintified google search pages in Firefox/Chrome/ium which generate income for Mint and which you can't disable through a GUI.

Canonical makes some questionable decisions but adding Amazon shopping support to the dash, and an option to disable it easily, is not one of them - it's not evil either :D

It's a bit shocking to experience how somewhat hysterical, unbalanced and unfounded opinions can ignite half the online Linux community, huge swarms just going with it without stopping to think. Hopefully Mint doesn't find itself at the wrong end of a Wave of Overreaction any time soon!
danagos

Post by danagos »

I will just ignore the "ooh conspiracy theory" stupid opinions above, and tell you just A COUPLE OF THINGS:

1) google for "PRISM SCANDAL"
2) Google for "NSA MICROSOFT SPY"
3) Google for "CIA BSD BACKDOOR"

Ok, so now people discover that USA keeps logging ALL info, talks, chats, friends, phone calls (google NSA SPYING AMERICANS CONGRESS 2005 AT&T)

Well, not even MY government can spy on me, but USA can? The guy said that he can even spy presidents and companies, and, in most cases, THEY DO, even to steal privileged info, like patent projects to steal them for usa companies and register ahead.

USA government pays like 200k dollars to 1 million for any exploits, and you think that the stupid african that made ubuntu is above of it?
They pay even to hardware companies to make hardware exploits, they infected the most audited system in the world, bsd, when they don infect the code they infect the binaries...

There are so many ways to do it...
Do you know that microsoft is one of the biggest contributors on writing linux codes?
You think they are concerned just with virtualization? pfffff

Until someone rapes stupid north americans and the world declares WAR on them, they will insist on commiting crimes and violating other peoples rights.
Go and use the most secure system on the world, unless you have an old ISA NIC, they will have access to bypass it. By hardware or software, by tapping, by trojans, every way they will log you.

Now that the prism guy SHUTTED UP stupid people crying "oooh conspiracy theoryyyyy" i am amazed to see they are still here writing "i am glad google and the government logs all my chats".
NOW THAT THAT EX NSA INTELLIGENCE AGENT TOLD THAT WHEN THEY WANTTO SCREW SOMEONE THEY RESEARCH LOGS OF HIS FRIENDS AND CHATS OVER 15 YEARS, WOULD YOU NOW STOP BEING STUPID, PEOPLE?
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

danagos wrote:Until someone rapes stupid north americans and the world declares WAR on them, they will insist on commiting crimes and violating other peoples rights.
Yes Sir, the best way to protect peoples rights is to rape people and declare war on North Americas.

Return to “Chat about Linux”