Keyboard Steelseries 6GV2

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hexabit

Keyboard Steelseries 6GV2

Post by hexabit »

Hi,

I buy keyboard Steelseries 6GV2, is has a special key in the place od "windows" key, the windows key is on the right side of the keyboard.

How can I check the name / code / string of this new key so I can assign a shortcut for "show desktop" in xfce ?

The windows key is recognized as <super> so my current shortcut is <super>+d ... what about this new key ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Keyboard Steelseries 6GV2

Post by jjaythomas »

Hello

easiest way in Xfce is to in setting>keyboard 'appication shortcut tab'. Type in command then hit key. Now a global shortcut (can sometime also edit keyboard shortcuts in settings>window manager).

If want to manually edit shortcut (or just see keycode) use xev (terminal app). Running brings up a small square, put mouse pointer in square and hit key, if registers in system should see keycode given in terminal.

Hopes help :)
J.Jay
hexabit

Post by hexabit »

Unfortunatelly "xev" do not register this key as event...

I found this article:

http://superuser.com/questions/388973/h ... to-xmodmap

But program named there "xkeycaps" do not register special key also...
Cable

Post by Cable »

Unfortunately the "special key" (in other words, the "modifier key") on the SteelSeries 6Gv2 will always be a "modifier key".

This is because SteelSeries has hard-coded this button. It'll not be possible to re-assign it.

Here's a quote I found in the SteelSeries FAQ, if you're interested:
Some of my multimedia keys don't work and I can't re-assign them for any other function.

The 7 Multimedia control keys (Volume Up/Down, Mute, Back Track, Stop, Play/Pause and Next Track) are designed to provide standard Windows® multimedia functions. They currently support Windows® Media Player version 6.4 or higher. The Multimedia keys are hard-coded to perform their respective functions, and cannot be reassigned. If you're using Winamp you must enable 'Global Hotkey Support' in the Winamp properties.
If you dig deep into the Internet you may find a tutorial how to do this physically, but you'll have to solder, etc.

Return to “Xfce”