Intermittent beeping noise from speaker

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Intermittent beeping noise from speaker

Postby sharptooth on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:37 pm

I've installed Mint 14 (Cinnamon) onto an old Sony Vaio laptop and am having an issue with the sound card. During boot and once logged in, a random double beep noise emits from the left internal speaker. The noise doesn't seem to be linked to hard disk or network activity and I suspect that the problem may lie with the soundcard's input. When I open the Sound settings and select the Input tab, what I usually (but not always) see is the Connector drop down options rapidly switching between Line In and Microphone. Attempting to manually select one of these options fails to achieve anything. I have turned the input volume of both input types Off but this still doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.
I tried the first suggestion made here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=111805 however this did not seem to do anything at all. I also read another post suggesting an issue with the internal wireless adapter, but I have no evidence to support this being the issue.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to how to either fix or further diagnose this issue?
Thanks in advance...
sharptooth
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support