change autologin user

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
changedsoul

change autologin user

Post by changedsoul »

Im comming from openSuse, and I saved my home directory. When I installed Mint 14, I setup the partitions, formatted /, but left my /home intact. I entered my same username, but when came to boot, I had many errors. I have no idea what they meant. Not know what to do, I reinstalled Mint again, this time picking a different user. This booted me into my desktop just fine. I then created a new user with the same name as I had in openSuse, so it would use the same home directory from that install. This also worked great, my email, chrome tabs, etc are all there after I relogged into this new user.

My Problem is now I am always booting into the user I created during install. I want to purge this user and just use my original one I had from openSuse.
How can I change the default user account that auto logs in at bootup?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: change autologin user

Post by xenopeek »

Menu -> Preferences -> Login Window. On one of the tabs you can configure which user can log in automatically. Also, please make sure two things:
1. For the new user you created to match the one from OpenSUSE, check that this user has the same group memberships as your Linux Mint user with the different name. You want to avoid getting stuck with a user that doesn't have sudo permissions :|
2. Also, it may be that on OpenSUS the UIDs and GIDs for normal users start at a different base than Linux Mint. So double-check that all the files of the original OpenSUSE user are now owned by you.

As you are coming from OpenSUSE, I'm assuming you don't need me to type out any of the commands. But please share if you need more help with this :)
changedsoul

Re: change autologin user

Post by changedsoul »

Thanks for that quick reply. That did the trick. I should have spent more time digging through the menus. Its going to take getting used to a change in distros. Thanks also on the sudo tip, the user I created was not part of the sudo group, and at first I was unable to open the Login Window. I added myself to sudo group, and all was well. Thanks.

Update, the location was not in Preferances though, it was : Menu > Administration > Login Window.

Thanks a bunch :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”