I need to partition the system without the install usb

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

I need to partition the system without the install usb

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I have a system with LM 14 on it i pulled the usb out on the first install before the install was on reboot before it told me to do so. Whether this is the problem or not the result was that I had to reinstall and i put the second install along side the windows partition and the faulty mint install. This resulted in a system that is very slow. I need to fix it without reinstalling again.

Grub gives me 2 linux mint s one of them being lm14 the other one is generic , and the windows also

How do I get the falty linux partition off the disk and make it part of the LM14 system that works.

Is there a program that is in linux that will repartition for me ?
Is there a program that will do so that I have to download?
I don't want to use the original usb file to repartition.

If I use the windows to change the partitions what will it do with the part that it erases? will it format it for the windows system or will it do as i want and make it linux usable ?

Thanks in advance,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: I need to partition the system without the install usb

Post by caf4926 »

Use the USB
Run Gparted to manage/delete partitions as required and leave yourself what you need for the Mint 14 install
Then do a clean install. But be sure to choose 'Something else': https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Mint_ ... n_opts.png

The follow this in principle
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3e0lL ... zVFNGpmd2s
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

is this the only way ..... I don't want to reinstall..... I just want to edit my partition table making what i erase into the partitition that is working now ..

thanks,
Nate
Gord

Post by Gord »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:is this the only way ..... I don't want to reinstall.....
It may not be the only way but it strikes me as being the most sensible way. Your recent posting history reveals that you have spent a fair bit of time trying to troubleshoot these broken installations with quite limited success. Sometimes it really is best to just bite the bullet and start again from scratch.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I am not going to reinstall i have a working system . I just want to fix the partition system.

thanks
Nate
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

You can fix the broken system using the live usb. Just boot it up and use gparted or something similar to fix the system. Don't reinstall or format anything unless you are sure that it won't break anything. I take a live USB with me to use when I don't have access to my system. I don't install anything, and I can still use all of my programs.
Gord

Post by Gord »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:I am not going to reinstall i have a working system .
It's your call. Good luck, and goodbye.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I decided you were right ... I tried to reinstall. i used the last option when i got to the partitioning tool this time and every other time i ever chose the last option the install says that the partition has no root and it says to use the partitioning tool to fix it but i see no place to do so. How do I correct that???
thanks,
Nate
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

You need to set the mount points. http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/06/02/ma ... x-mint-11/ That tutorial is a bit old, but everything will still work. I strongly recommend a separate /home partition. Also, format the partitions to EXT4 except for SWAP.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

caf4926 wrote:Use the USB
Run Gparted to manage/delete partitions as required and leave yourself what you need for the Mint 14 install
Then do a clean install. But be sure to choose 'Something else': https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Mint_ ... n_opts.png

The follow this in principle
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3e0lL ... zVFNGpmd2s
I suggest you re-examine this
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

well, i did as told and it worked i got rid of my extra partitions. But I lost all my data. It was all backed up so i didn't lose it exactly but i have to put it back on here ..... so why is there no way to reinstall a system over the top of a system anymore and keep the data. I use to do that in windows but not in recent windows. What is the problem with doing that. Linux ought to come up with a way that would make things much easier it seems to me.

Thanks,
Nate
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:well, i did as told and it worked i got rid of my extra partitions. But I lost all my data. It was all backed up so i didn't lose it exactly but i have to put it back on here ..... so why is there no way to reinstall a system over the top of a system anymore and keep the data. I use to do that in windows but not in recent windows. What is the problem with doing that. Linux ought to come up with a way that would make things much easier it seems to me.

Thanks,
Nate
If you want to keep your files safe between installs you really need a separate partition for /home (I always do this)

So to give you an idea. Imagine you have a 300GB HD and only wanted Linux Mint.
This is how you would do a single install:

swap = 2 x RAM
ext4 for / (root) 20-30GB is plenty
ext4 for /home (all the remaining space)
Personally though, for my needs. I would imagine the HD in 2 Halves of 150GB amd 150GB. Install Mint to one Half and have the other as backup/upgrade install
I'd create a swap
Then an extended to all the remaining space
Then 2 x ext4 @ 20GB for / (root)
2 x ext4 @ 130GB for /home

So basically you have 2 working installs
1 for using
1 for backup use and then for doing your next install when it comes around

You simply copy your data from your in use /home to your new installation
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

swap = 2 x RAM
ext4 for / (root) 20-30GB is plenty
ext4 for /home (all the remaining space)
Is that all the partitions? I'm actually confused on what you can and can't do with partitions and their purpose.
It seems that everyone does something different and it seems there is always a reason. When I try to alter I run into the partition manager wanting me to do something different.

thanks,
Nate
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning
And caf4926 uses the exact same partition system that I use. I usually make a smaller '/' partition though, since I don't normally install large amounts of stuff, and I work with small (<200GB) drives.

Return to “Beginner Questions”