Text editor quirk

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sddfdds

Text editor quirk

Post by sddfdds »

If I open a file from nemo it opens in gedit as expected, and then if I open another file, it opens in a new tab in that same gedit instance.

However, if I first open gedit from the applications menu, and file>open a file, it opens...but then if I open a file from nemo it opens a new instance of gedit instead of putting it in a new tab in the original instance.

Am I missing an option here or is this a bug? Not sure if this is significant (or if it's exactly the issue) but in the applications menu, it is listed purely as gedit, whereas in nemo right-click/open with it is "Text editor" instead. (Although if you go to a file's properties, the open with tab there for selecting a default application lists it as gedit instead of text editor)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Text editor quirk

Post by xenopeek »

How I understand it; Nemo only knows about the gedit instance it started. As you open more text files from Nemo, it already knows it has this gedit instance open so just instructs that gedit instance to open these files as well. When you first yourself open gedit manually, Nemo doesn't know about that gedit instance as it isn't a child process of Nemo.

As for gedit vs. Text Editor, that is name vs. function. Some places list the name of a program, other places list the function of a program.

Let's not go around calling annoyances bugs :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”