Ugly font rendering with Evince, not with okular

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mf-linux

Post by mf-linux »

Hi,
I usually save slide presentations in pdf format. When using Evince to open those pdf files, the fonts always look ugly, with "serrated" borders. I've tried opening same files with Okular and Adobe Reader, and they look OK. However, I'm using MATE desktop environment, and Okular sends error message (something like "could not open /home/...%i) and opens at least two instances every time I execute it; on the other hand, Idon't like Adobe because it is not free.
Any clue on how to improve font rendering in Evince?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hurinth

Re: Ugly font rendering with Evince, not with okular

Post by hurinth »

Hi there mate,

Hopefully this will help and you haven abandoned mint cuz of this =D

The problem you are facing is easy to fix, and due to a weird command syntax programmed by default within the mintmenu option to open Okular:

okular %U %i -caption "%c"

The caption parameter allows setting up the title to the variable %c, which I believe should be fed by somebody when you click on the option.

To fix this, just open mintmenu, right click on the Okular button icon > Edit properties > and set the command field to plain "okular"

Done!
mf-linux

Post by mf-linux »

Great! Thank you very much.
So I can use Okular normally, but why this difference in font rendering compared to Evince? Does anyone know how to improve that in Evince? Now I've adopted Okular as my default pdf reader, but I remain curious about this problem with Evince (deafult pdf reader in Mint Gnome) ...

Return to “Software & Applications”