Anything faster than Brasero for DVD burning?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
igor83

Anything faster than Brasero for DVD burning?

Post by igor83 »

I was wondering whether there was anything faster than Brasero for burning video-dvd's. I burned one the other day that turned out fine, but the speed was 1 - 2x, and I was using 16x media with a modern dvd burner. I don't know whether there's something better than Brasero out there or not, but it is the default dvd burner for Linux Mint Maya Xfce. Just curious...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Anything faster than Brasero for DVD burning?

Post by cwsnyder »

You can use xfburn, but if you want as close to a guaranteed good burn as possible, I wouldn't set your burn rate setting much above about 4x to 8x, which is a setting in Brasero or one of the other burners.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I install K3b from the repository to any system it's not already on. It works the best in my experience.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

I thought xfburn was only for cd? Maybe it does dvd too, but I didn't see option for video-dvd. Brasero does do video-dvd, but I ran into a strange problem. I didn't actually succeed in burning a video-dvd with Brasero. I had a video-dvd copied to the hard drive (.VOB, etc. in the VIDEO directory) and when I clicked "Create video-dvd" and added these video files, a window popped up saying "Creating MPG..." and this window remained at 0%. In the first place, it was not necessary to create anything; the video files were ready to burn without further processing. I think Brasero is set up to create a video-dvd based upon a compressed-format video file or something like that. I don't know, but I wasn't too impressed with Brasero based upon my video-dvd experience. In the end, I gave up in Linux and just booted Windows XP and ran Infraburner, which burned 10 copies of a video-dvd at something like 4 - 8x speed, and it was fast, no problems.

I will give K3b a shot, thanks for the suggestion. I will install today.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

You may want to look at installing ffmpeg and bombono to work with Brasero for the type of file you are trying to burn, or else set up an .iso file and burn that.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

cwsnyder wrote:You may want to look at installing ffmpeg and bombono to work with Brasero for the type of file you are trying to burn, or else set up an .iso file and burn that.
Thanks for the suggestion, it may be helpful to others who are using Brasero. I wound up installing K3b, but haven't gotten around to testing it yet. It seemed hefty by comparison at 63 megs or so but maybe that's a good thing. Probably the next thing I will burn will be a Linux distro, undoubtedly a Linux Mint one.

Return to “Sound”