Application Launcher

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ebrahem

Application Launcher

Post by ebrahem »

Good afternoon folks,
Is there a way to create/install an application launcher icon in Mint similar to application launcher icon in Pear OS?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nanowire

Re: Application Launcher

Post by nanowire »

Are you referring to the dock app launcher at the bottom of the screen that is sort of OSX like? Two off the top of my head I can think of are 'Docky' or 'Cairo-Dock'.
ebrahem

Post by ebrahem »

No, nanowire. Please review the attached pictures. It's the second icon on the dock.
Thank you.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

ebrahem wrote:Good afternoon folks,
Is there a way to create/install an application launcher icon in Mint similar to application launcher icon in Pear OS?
what are you asking? Can you install the that spaceship icon on Mint? Yes you can just add the the icon to your mint system (usr/share/pixelmaps) then click on the panel>Add to Panel>Create Cutsom Launcher.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

The whole desktop environment looks like the Gnome Shell DE. You can find it in the repositories. Just search synaptic for 'gnome-shell'. You can then add the dock to the bottom with docky or something similar. You will have to select gnome-shell on login to use it.

That spaceship icon is the default icon for a new application launcher (i think). You can choose a unique icon for whatever application you want.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Don't install gnome-shell. Pear Linux uses Wingpanel, an old version of Slingshot and some other elements from elementaryOS' Pantheon Shell. It's not GNOME Shell.
I don't think you can get that in Cinnamon.
ebrahem

Post by ebrahem »

Thank you "TheDynamicHamza21" I wasn't asking about the icon but asking about the possibility of having an icon on the dock that you can access all of your application through it. I think "bigj231" and "abnvolk" answered it.
Thank you all. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”