Dual Monitor with Nvidia 310.19 drivers crashes.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
junaidsurve

Dual Monitor with Nvidia 310.19 drivers crashes.

Post by junaidsurve »

Hi All

I am a recent migrant from Windows to LM13(64-bit) Mate. I have been facing a problem with Dual Monitor for the past 7-8 days. I have tried a lot of stuff that I got from various forums and by googling, however none helped.

I have a nVidia GT420M card on my Laptop(64-bit). I have installed the latest 310.19 drivers. From http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html
My ideal preference is - My External Monitor (VGA-0) to be my primary screen and the Laptop screen (LVDS-0) to be off.

On boot, the login screen appears on the Laptop screen. After logging in, the External Monitor is considered as the Primary screen since the panel appears in the External Screen, however the desktop icons appear on the Laptop screen.

The problem is when i do

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-settings
and choose my Laptop screen to be put off, both screen turn black for about 2 seconds and then only the Laptop screen has the background image with the desktop icons disappeared and the neither the mouse nor the keyboard responds. So I have to do a hard reset.

Also when I select "Separate X Screen" and click on "Apply". The Laptop screen goes black and the External Monitor has the background image in the top half of the screen and the bottom half is black. It looks like the Laptop settings are imposed on the External Monitor. Also neither the mouse nor the keyboard responds. So I have to do a hard reset.

To install the nVidia drivers I have done the following -

sudo killall mdm

apt remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau libdrm-nouveau1

<at the downloaded path> sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.19.run
Complie dkmk - Yes
Install 32 bit Open GL libraries - Yes

sudo nvidia-xconfig

sudo reboot
The current nvidia-settings are attached.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
junaidsurve

Re: Dual Monitor with Nvidia 310.19 drivers crashes.

Post by junaidsurve »

I have tried installing nVidia 304. It still behaves the same way.
The bumblebee nvidia drivers crashes on start up.

I am tired of trying now. Done about 100 hard resets.

No one here to help. Its unfortunate.

Return to “Hardware Support”