Convert file from .pdf to .odt

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Convert file from .pdf to .odt

Postby odo5435 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:09 am

I can find many applications that will convert from .odt to .pdf but I can't seem to find any that'll do the reverse. I've recently had a spate of forms to complete that only come in .pdf and my handwriting is atrocious. Many years ago I had a program (can't remember its name and prob pirate anyway) that would convert the file to .doc and it was easily finished.

Is there a Linux application that will do this?
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7 :::<<>>::: Linux Registered User No. 545697
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon
odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Convert file from .pdf to .odt

Postby Fornhamfred on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:25 pm

This seems to be what you are looking for http://askubuntu.com/questions/166875/c ... s-in-a-pdf

I have tested it out and it works by annotating an existing pdf and then resaving as a pdf.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby viking777 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Libreoffice is supposed to be able to edit pdf files. I can't tell you for sure because I don't use it, but it must be worth a look. In fact I use Abiword and even it can edit them and save them as .odt so you could try that instead if you don't want the Libreoffice bloatware.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby odo5435 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:19 am

Thanks to you both for your replies and I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to this.

I looked at Xournal as was suggested in your link @Fornhamfed but it was basically just overlaying a text layer on the document and re-saving it as .pdf. When you open a .pdf file with LibreOffice (when you have pdfimport installed) it opens in LibreDraw which allows you to do the same thing so that was not what I was looking for.

I did try AbiWord @viking but that messed up the formatting of the document when I opened it and was not usable for me in this case.

I ended up resorting to overlaying text boxes in LibreDraw which gave me results but took some fiddling with alignment and such. I did discover that the document had a couple of text boxes built in. They were not obvious. I only found them by accidentally clicking on the area but LibreDraw did allow me to enter text into those boxes also. If the .pdf file is pre-formatted with interactive text boxes (and you can find them), then I'd imagine LibreDraw works fine.

I didn't find what I was looking for but I did achieve a result and that was something. Thanks for your input.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7 :::<<>>::: Linux Registered User No. 545697
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon
odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Software & Applications