How2 Install BCM4311 WiFi Mint 14.1 Cinnamon

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akawarrior

How2 Install BCM4311 WiFi Mint 14.1 Cinnamon

Post by akawarrior »

I just installed Mint 14.1 on USB storage key and all works but the Broadcom BCM4311 (14e4:4311) Revision 2 WiFi. It is in a HP Pavilion Entertainment Laptop with a base os of Windows 7. I am as GREEN AS NEW SPROUTED GRASS about Linux. The Linux OS is Mint 14.1 Cinnamon. I have read and tried every net search and Forum that I could find. Problem is they are all written for people who know how Linux works. The documentation goes over my head sometimes but if it doesn't it just fails to even work. I am not the only one having this problem because there is posts all over the net about this and most just give up and live with it. I am not going to that and maybe someone will be kind enough to take the time to help me and other Greenhorns get this fixed. All the help I have found has been for other versions of Mint and not this new version. That maybe my downfall as to why everything I have tried has failed to work. I take this laptop with me when I go out of town for my business and WiFi is a must. I wanted to run Linux because of the protective os feature (virus, Etc.) that is available by using Linux.
I have had some bad experiences on hotel Wifi. Me being so GREEN I need someone to explain how to get the Wifi working STEP A TO STEP Z. You cant assume I should know how to do a part of it because I don't have a clue.

Starting at load the terminal software (i got that) to dropping out of terminal and do this next. set up a Wifi connection and testing to see if it works. The full
9 yards! Step by step till go play on the net. Thanks for your help and time because it is deeply appreciated! We all need your help who are new and maybe some
pro's don't have this working yet. HELP!!!

Warrior...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kamowski

Re: How2 Install BCM4311 WiFi Mint 14.1 Cinnamon

Post by kamowski »

I have a BCM4318 and I'm doing the following:
terminal:
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
or:
synaptic->find b43->b43-fwcutter->install
find b43->firmware-b43-installer->install

This also works for BCM4311 according to the description for driver
During installation, you must have access through cable
akawarrior

Re: How2 Install BCM4311 WiFi Mint 14.1 Cinnamon

Post by akawarrior »

Well.. Thanks but I just moved on from Mint 14.1 or should I say backwards to Distro 11.0 It supports all the Broadcom 4300's and maybe a few others.. I have a USB live 14.1 and will try your suggestion. I don't understand why 11.0 supports the chips but 14.1 doesn't or I just cant get the hang of what all needs to be installed and configured. I didn't have any problems with 11.0.. I set it up on USB and poof my WiFi took off after installing the given drivers, installing the support software and configuring the WiFi access SSID and pass.. Heck, it connected, the little light turned blue and I was screaming over the net like I knew what the heck I was doing.. I liked 11 so much I added it to my laptop and it plays good with Windoz 7.. I'm tickled to death..

Good luck to the rest of you who are having problems.. I see where Broadcom is venturing into the big Linux world from Dell.. I think Dell and some other
manufacturers are pushing Broadcom off the bench. If they want them to buy their chips and use them in new Linux machines, that are coming out they better get with the dang program and stop playing around. Just ask some other chip manufactures (err'umm) what can happen when you play hardball with the public. Heck we just move on.. Thanks again.. Can't wait to try your config and see what happens. Heck I have tried everything else.. Happy Holidays.. Eat till your sick then go play on the Linux puter till you feel better..

I'm loving this 11..

Warrior..

Return to “Hardware Support”