Mint 14 Cinnamon acting weird?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaaacck

Mint 14 Cinnamon acting weird?

Post by jaaacck »

My Cinnamon install has been acting weird this morning, luckily I've got windows 7 on dual boot so I still have access to the computer.

I booted up and everything was working fine, I logged in then I realised my desktop environment had changed. It had changed to gnome from Cinnamon.
I went back to the login screen to try using the X Server script, but that still gave me the same environment. Before that it was on last session. My last session was last night and was on Cinnamon?

Also, when I try open google chrome the whole system crashes, I can't seem to get into any of the folders either. I can open firefox though which is weird. My desktop is still the same and my programs are still all installed.

I double checked I was logging into the correct account and I was. There is also only one account on my computer.
Everything was working flawlessly last night, then when I turned my computer on today everything went dodgey.

Any help is appreciated guys!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 14 Cinnamon acting weird?

Post by caf4926 »

But you have tried toggling Cinnamon in the session option at login?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
jaaacck

Post by jaaacck »

Yeah sorry, I forgot to mention this. I did try it and it still gives me the grub look and google chrome still crashes the whole system.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I'm not a Cinnamon users but I'm wondering what if any PPA's you have?

I guess you could consider doing chroot to the installed system if you have the install CD to hand. Then check your packaging etc...
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
jaaacck

Post by jaaacck »

I can get onto the system and open up firefox, calculator etc... that's all I tried.
I'm kinda new to mint, how would I check what PPA's I have?

Return to “Beginner Questions”