script for installation and configuration of ftpd server

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
placebo

script for installation and configuration of ftpd server

Post by placebo »

Hello

First of all, I am total newb in Linux world so please beare with me.
I need a bash script for installation and configuration of ftpd server on linux.
I dont know if that is the correct phrase so: I need to install and configure ftp server on a lot of computers (all linux mint)...and I would like to automate the proccess, so I can just run a script (where everything is already answered and set) and that is it. And it has to be done localy, not over network.
I understand, there will be more than 10-20 lines :) but can you please help me?
Can you at least give me some BIG example, so I can watch and learn, or better ye, just edit it, to fit my needs?
Or at least just push me in the wright direction :)
Thank you very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: script for installation and configuration of ftpd server

Post by xenopeek »

Please don't litter the forum with the same question in multiple sections. See the forum rules.

Perhaps it's me, but this question seems a bit vague. I mean, how you configure your ftpd server would probably be specific to your needs? You can probably just install the ftpd server you want with one command, then edit its configuration file and copy that configuration file over to your other machines. Doesn't sound like you need a script for that :)

Let's assume you pick vsftpd, a lightweight efficient FTP server written for security, you would install that with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install vsftpd
(Or just use the Software Manager, search for vsftpd, and install it from there.)

Then edit /etc/vsftpd.conf and configure it to your needs. All the settings have comments, so it should be easy to set up. You probably want to at least set anonymous_enable=YES and local_enable=YES. You need to edit this file as root, so you could do for example:

sudo nano /etc/vsftpd.conf
After installing vsftpd on those other machines, you can copy this vsftpd.conf over there so you only have to configure it once. To copy the file in its place, you need to do that as root again. So assuming you have put the vsftpd.conf file in your home directory, open a terminal and run:

sudo cp vsftpd.conf /etc
placebo

Post by placebo »

That is true, it is very vague...that is why I am hoping to get some script and I could modife it....I dont know how to write a script, but probably I will manage to edit it to my needs.
Thank you for understanding....
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

See my update; I was still typing :D
placebo

Post by placebo »

Hmmm, that looks very easy :) Until I start doing it :)
But perhaps a script wuld be better for me, because there is no need for copying files and writing the root password.
Becasue there is a chance, I wont be arround for all installations....and other users are even more st... than me :)
So a script (with all the settings and answers and which I will edit), which can be run in terminal would be perfect.
Thank you for your help!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You will always need to provide your password for installing software or changing system configuration files. This is not something you'd want average users to do. The configuration file is just a text file; there's not much to script here...

Return to “Software & Applications”