Ubuntu Software Center ??? How do I install on 14

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Ubuntu Software Center ??? How do I install on 14

Post by twodogs »

I have been trying to install Ubuntu Software Center on my Mint 14 and can't get it to work. I did get it installed, but it would crash as soon as the main window would open. I used this tutorial but still wouldn't work. I have installed/removed USC from within Synaptic and Terminal and still, no dice.

Then, I installed Deepin Software Manager which looks very nice indeed, but does not offer what I'm looking for.

I want RC Mini Racers but the only way to install is through the Ubuntu Software Center.

Has anyone installed this and got it to work correctly? Thanks. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ubuntuaddicted

Re: Ubuntu Software Center ??? How do I install on 14

Post by ubuntuaddicted »

I too am having the same problem as you. I installed the Ubuntu Software Center I thought, at least there's a menu entry for it, but when I click on it nothing happens. SO then I installed Alacarte and looked at what command is being run when pushing the menu entry, its the following command /usr/bin/software-center %u SO I went to the terminal and ran the command and this is what it returned.

Code: Select all

gksudo /usr/bin/software-center %u
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/software-center", line 128, in <module>
    from softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.app import SoftwareCenterAppGtk3
  File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/app.py", line 53, in <module>
    from softwarecenter.db.application import Application
  File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/application.py", line 27, in <module>
    import softwarecenter.distro
  File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/distro/__init__.py", line 197, in <module>
    distro_instance = _get_distro()
  File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/distro/__init__.py", line 172, in _get_distro
    module = __import__(distro_module_name, globals(), locals(), [], -1)
ImportError: No module named linuxmint
So I am at a loss here. I really wanted RC Mini Racer as well. Hope someone comes along soon and chimes in
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Why do you want this software center ? Is the one in Mint not enough for you ?
ubuntuaddicted

Post by ubuntuaddicted »

killer de bug wrote:Why do you want this software center ? Is the one in Mint not enough for you ?
I already explained why I need the Ubuntu Software Center, because I want to install the game RC Mini Racer. If you can tell me how to install it without using the Ubuntu Software Center I'd be happy to hear it.

Here's the website which has a link you can click but I am not sure why xdg-open is opening a Google Chrome Browser and nothing happens anyway, the game doesn't get installed.
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application ... iniracers/
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

killer de bug wrote:Why do you want this software center ? Is the one in Mint not enough for you ?
Don't you read the post before you write? Mint's software manager is not the same, sorry.
ubuntuaddicted

Post by ubuntuaddicted »

these forums seem dead. how large is the linux mint support community? would really love a solution to this problem. it's too bad there aren't .deb files that I could just buy from some where. I just want to play the RC Mini Racer game. I'd hate to have to install Ubuntu when Linux Mint is basically ubuntu at it's core.
ubuntuaddicted

Post by ubuntuaddicted »

it appears like I got it to work following both this suggestion as well as the one here; http://www.noobslab.com/2011/12/install ... linux.html
but the RC Mini Racer game isn't showing up for purchase. BS

Return to “Software & Applications”