Hard disk link in computer folder says "can't mount file"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gleegy

Hard disk link in computer folder says "can't mount file"

Post by gleegy »

I'm using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon. When I go to the computer folder which shows some mounted devices I see links to:

320 GB Hard Disk
CD/DVD Drive
File System

But when I click on "320 GB Hard Disk" I get the message "Unable to mount location- Can't mount file". How can I repair this link or just remove it completely from being displayed in the computer folder?

Best,
Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gleegy

Re: Hard disk link in computer folder says "can't mount file

Post by gleegy »

Hey, I'm extremely new here and new to linux. Please let me know what other information I might need to provide in order to help diagnose this problem. I'm having this issue because I was playing around with partitioning and editing fstab. Everything seems to be working fine but theres this link to the harddisk under the computer folder that isn't working and I can't get rid of it.

Thanks,
mike
ElStellino
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Hard disk link in computer folder says "can't mount file

Post by ElStellino »

hi Mike/Michael,

I had a similar issue with either the Windows 8 or Windows 7 partition during my first days with Mint 13, even though I didn't play with partitioning:
basically, Linux was seeing one of the two operating systems as suspended, or hibernated (that it couldn't be anyway)
I simply had to clear the cache in Windows.
I think a message actually came out in Linux saying exactly that.

If I remember correctly (but please check it out before doing it) you have to start a Windows session and open cmd (start->Run-> then type "cmd"); then type

Code: Select all

ipconfig /flushdns
I honestly don't know if this procedure is relevant, I seem to remember that it is, but I cannot recall what DNS has to do with hibernation files and such... In any case you have to solve the problem in Windows and not in Linux.
I hope I put you on the right direction at least, good luck!
Linux Mint 21.1 – Cinnamon-64

Hardware, since 2009 – still rocking:
MB - ASRock H55DE3
Core i3 530 2.93Ghz 
4Gb DDR3 Ram Dual Channel
And there’s a new entry!
Acer laptop
Intel© Core™ i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz × 2
6GB RAM
Harkonnen
Level 1
Level 1