Is It Possble To Disable the Keyboard and Mouse?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Is It Possble To Disable the Keyboard and Mouse?

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? »

Hi

I have a computer that my family uses as a media centre. Unfortunately, people keep breaking the setup and my apparently OCD method of sorting files as they drag and drop folders into different locations with the mouse. Our phones are set up to play files through VLC remotely. Is there a way to disable the keyboard and mouse completely?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Is It Possble To Disable the Keyboard and Mouse?

Post by cwsnyder »

What you will be doing is operating the computer in a mode called 'headless'. You will not be able to display anything from the computer operations, either, and will have to set up your computer by VNC or SSH tunneling into your computer and signing on on a different machine.

If you are controlling the media with remotes, why not just remove the keyboard and mouse after signing in and running VLC? It normally won't hurt USB devices.
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Hi,

Unfortunately people can just plug in USB devices again, which is where the issue lies. If they try and double click but accidently drag and click they move the folders about. I only find out about this when things stop working. I want to stop them from using the keyboard and mouse on this computer.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Haven't used myself just searching around for you.
Disable / enable keyboard and mouse in Linux
http://wpkg.org/Disable_/_enable_keyboa ... e_in_Linux

Sorry all I could find on it. Would think there is other ways? Beats me tho.
WhatUsernameIsFree?

I'll give that a go, thank you very much :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”